Konsort Chainplate

Jon

Konsort Chainplate

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Some rust streaks have appeared on the deck of my Konsort around the lower port shroud chainplate. Inside the fitting is wet with rusty gunk. Obviously there has been some sort of crevice corrosion due to the fitting leaking and I need to replace asap. My question is this has anyone done this with the mast up and if so what problems were encountered ? In the winter with the mast down I will replace all of them but if I could do this particular one with the mast up it would enable me to keep sailing a little longer this season.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks Jon
rhumlady
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: Konsort Chainplate

Post by rhumlady »

I would say yes but I would ease the standing rigging all round to ensure you don't have too much tension on the mast. You can take the halyard that comes output below the spreaders down to the midships cleat on the side you are going to work on and tension it but it shouldn't be required. I have replaced Sta-lok fittings like this in the past. The thing that worries me more is the state of the balsa core on the deck. I suspect you will find it wet which will require renewing before you go much further. You also need to inspect the bracket where it goes through the deck as you may need to replace it. I think I would be doing that anyway as well as checking all the other fittings.
I have been lucky with my own Konsort and all is well but I am planning on having better fittings made up where the ones for the lowers are aligned to the mast so not lined up to the fore and aft centreline. I also want larger plates top and bottom.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hi Derek,
Many thanks for your reply. The balsa core also concerns me. I wasn't sure whether the balsa core was all round the deck or everywhere apart from the deck fitting attachment areas. I don't want to start a job afloat with the mast up then run into more problems. I'll contact Trafalgar yachts and see what they say.
Thanks again
Jon
rhumlady
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by rhumlady »

Jon,

The Konsort and I would guess most of the other boats have balsa out to within an inch or so of the deck edge and about the same around hatches. The mast step area is ply with a solid surround. You may expect the holes through the deck to have had the balsa undercut and filled with some sort of filler but that is not the case on Rhumlady and I don't think it is on any others or at least not as a factory standard. I have patches of wet core that have rotted away and require remedial action. I did one large patch under the foredeck where small screwholes had not been sealed after the blocks that supported thatcher when stowed had been removed. The patch was about a foot square. The main one still to do is by one of the vents outside the heads but that is for the future as I have a house to finish refurbishing before I get back to finish the boat.

Good luck with the work and don't be too inquisitive especially under the headlining as my experience is that there be dragons under the ready to roast the unwary:'(
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213