Mast Support Post

RickBrennan1947
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Mast Support Post

Post by RickBrennan1947 »

Since buying a new main sail for my Ocean 33 I have been plagued with problems that started with the mast panting, a known problem on this model. In order to deal with this I have had XW Rigging set up the rig to the original tensions as specified by Westerly/Selden, but this has resulted in the mast support post taking on a distinct curve; this is also a known problem and later boats had the post beefed up. I obviously need to replace my post with a beefed up one, but although I know the diameter of the later post was increased to 9 cm, I do not know the wall thickness. If anybody has any information on this I would much appreciate it.

Also, the post goes through the saloon table and this will obviously have to come out for the new post to be fitted, and also be modified to accept the increase in the pole diameter. Unfortunately it does not look as though it was designed to ever be removed so any information on the best way of tackling this would also be appreciated, there are some screws on the sides at the rear but nothing else obvious.
Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Mast Support Post

Post by Jolly Roger »

I suggest you have a word at Trafalgar Yacht Services as they will almost certainly know the answers to your questions. However I believe they are currently on holiday.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/
mikebuggy

Re: Mast Support Post

Post by mikebuggy »

For what its worth, I replaced the mast post on the earlier version (the tall mast storm 33 OD, essentially the same) some years ago. Table comes apart more easily than you think. I replaced the post with a thick walled HD polished S/S tube with bigger top and bottom plates. The shiny post looked the business in the cabin! A local welder made it to my designs based on the earlier one. I think I used Solent Welding services.