Inner forestay on Oceanranger

simonpetrel
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Inner forestay on Oceanranger

Post by simonpetrel »

I'm investigating installing an additional inner forestay on my OR. If I bring the top of the new stay to just above the second spreader and put in an additional diamond stay whether that would obviate the need for running backstays to stop the mast bending forwards. I am normally only myself and my wife on board so we want to keep things simple on the tack

Simonpetrel
Vegable
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Inner forestay on Oceanranger

Post by Vegable »

I assume that you're going to use it for flying additional foresails and storm jibs etc.and not for additional strengthening.
I have a removeable forestay on my Oceanranger which was fitted as an extra when she was built. It's fixed to the top of the mast just behind the roller reefing foil. I don't have any additional backstays fitted.
Mike Buggy is probably the best person to ask about this as he's fitted one on his Oceanranger Raparee and knows a lot more about the stresses involved than I do.
You'll find him in the members address book or somewhere on the forum pages as he does contributes fairly frequently.
Mike
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"
mikebuggy

Re: Inner forestay on Oceanranger

Post by mikebuggy »

Yes, I have an additional forestay. Just below normal forestay. It goes to a chain-plate on the fore-deck which is bolted through to a heavily stainless steel reinforced anchor locker bulkhead. Its a few feet in from the bow.
I use it for a number of smaller hank on sails I have as reserves.....and also for a storm jib. I have also used it for carrying twin headsails. Its not far enough down from the top to need any extra supports.
I have running backstays on the mast and these are taken from just below the upper spreaders. They use chain-plates far back on the quarters taken down to the aft heads and locker bulkheads. They are NOT for backing up any foresails but are for stiffening the mast, particularly when reaching partly reefed in heavy weather and big seas. They are a great reassurance and back-up for those vulnerable aft lowers and the single backstay.
Hard to see how a diamond stay contrivance could be used to stop such a thick section mast bending forward in the middle, or at the top for that matter. Usually they are used to stiffen the upper sections of lighter flexible fractionally rigged masts.