antifouling .

daveholl
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

antifouling .

Post by daveholl »

There has been some talk over the last couple of days about Fouling and growth on our boats. Having looked at mine recently ,kept on the Medway the barnacles are having a lovely feast. I somehow get the feeling we have all been conned by the manufactures of antifouling products which clearly are not doing what it says on the tin. I might even next year save myself £200 and sit it on the hard (Bilge keel ) and scrape every 2 months or so. I think we have all been had over . What do others think ?.

Dave H. Discus ARAWA
mikebuggy

Re: antifouling .

Post by mikebuggy »

£200 seems a bit steep for a normal AF job or are you including the haul out cost in that?
Its always worth hauling out as often as you can afford to anyway, so its probably not fair to lump this with the AF costs. I would have thought you should get away with under £100 for a basic DIY antifoul (you can get up to 2.5 ltrs for £60 if you look around). I tried the scraping thing. Within 2 months the growth was far worse than anything I'd experienced with antifouling!
May be worth paying slightly more for a very good AF rather than going for budget stuff.
daveholl

Post by daveholl »

I use Cruiser Uno. Our local chandlers has stuff on "sale "at prices ranging from £45 to £96 2.5 Litres .
DH
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Checking the International web site they do say Cruiser Uno is suitable for all areas except high fouling. http://www.yachtpaint.com/gbr/diy/produ ... earch.aspx Unfortunately the Medway is a high fouling area. Your choice of antifouling is part of the cause of your fouling problem.

The main problem with the Medway is the fine mud sediment in the water. This leaves a layer on the antifouling and the weed and barnacles grow on that. Your best policy is to keep the hull as clean as possible and then the antifouling is able to work. If you can go round the waterline with a brush from a dinghy, that will help a lot. The barnacles lower down will mean drying out to remove.

I keep my boat in Chatham Marina and the weed growth and barnacles are far less than being in the river. My antifoul regime was 2 coats of International Interspeed Ultra in a dark blue colour and then 2 coats of Micron Extra in white. The Micron is a self polishing paint which contains the strongest formula additives, the same high strength was in the Ultra. When I start seeing a dark colour underwater then I know I need to repaint the antifoul. I was launched at the end of April and the hull has remained fairly clean and I will probably scrub later this month for the first time.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/