Storm Jib

StephenJervis
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:Westerly
Storm Jib

Post by StephenJervis » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:57 am

Hi
I would like to be able to fly a second smaller jib on my Seahawk both for better down wind performance and also for use in strong winds.
Can I use the inner forstay ? or should I think about fitting a detatchable forstay just behind the main forstay ?
I could use the spare grrove in the roller furling for down wind but I can see that if the wind picks up it would be very difficult to get down.
Stephen

JayT
Site Admin
Anti Spam measure:Yes
AntiSpam Text:Opposite Easterly

Re: Storm Jib

Post by JayT » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:52 am

It is strongly advised NOT to use the inner forestay to set a sail on, especially one that will come under significant load as a storm jib would. I am aware of 2 Corsairs that had an additional forestay added, with substantial support running through the forward cabin to the internal structure, because the foredeck is not designed to take that heavy a load. Others have also fitted removable stays with a highfield lever to tension them.

There is quite a lot on the Forum here about inner forestays - type inner forestay into the search box to get the answers.
Regards
Tim
Webmaster & Admin Office

steve parry
Anti Spam measure:Yes
AntiSpam Text:Pentland

Re: Storm Jib

Post by steve parry » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:12 pm

Hi,
I agree in total with JayT, the baby stay is Not the place any sail on it's unsupported both on the deck or mast. I would strongly advise you to put a removable inner forestry with the necessary support in place(both deck and mast).
Regards

Steve Parry Walkabout