Storm Liferaft

David Jarrett
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Storm Liferaft

Post by David Jarrett »

Hi

We have bought a Seago canister 6 person offshore liferaft and on balance (my wife is not that powerfully built) think that a pushpit mounting is preferable.

Just a bit worried about the weight - can the pushpit cope without grp stress fractures.

Any thoughts and advice appreciated :)

David
Vegable
Anti Spam measure: No

Re: Storm Liferaft

Post by Vegable »

My Oceanranger has one fitted on the pushpit. If you go to the Wiki website and look at the Oceanranger page, that is my Oceanranger and you can see the liferaft in a red packaging on the pushpit. Its in a purpose made cradle which you can buy off the shelf. There isn't any reinforcing below yhe deck.
Having said all that, I took part in the RYA survival course and was told that the best place for a liferaft is just by the mast. You'll want to launch your liferaft on the lee side of your boat and if you have your liferaft hanging over the stern you're going to have problems getting it to the leeside - on a pitching deck they are too heavy to lift. If it's beside the mast you can just release it and slide it over the side in any direction you want. A much quicker safer and easier option.
I must admit, mine is still on the pushpit!
Mike
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"
mikebuggy

Post by mikebuggy »

Agree the forgoing. When I had a Storm we had the liferaft on the cabin roof, and this always seemed to be a sensible place. On my current boat. an Oceanranger, I moved it from the stern rails to the aft cabin roof where it is quick to get at from the cockpit.
Traditionally, if you want to maintain speed, comfort, and seaworthiness, it is generally best to keep heavy weights away from the ends of your boat. Furthermore heavy liferafts impose strain on pushpit rails and eventually cause fatigue and leaking around the deck feet/bolts.
David Jarrett
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by David Jarrett »

Thanks for responses. :)

Regards

David