Inner Forestay Storm 33

debutant
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Inner Forestay Storm 33

Post by debutant » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:08 pm

I am planning to add an inner forestay to our Storm 33 for use with storm Jib / working jib.
So far I have had the tang added to the mast when the rigging was replaced last year.

I am now looking at the correct location for the lower attachment point.
I have seen the U bolt just aft of the anchor winch used as the lower attachment point (I presently use this for the spinnaker pole downhaul). I am not sure if this strong enough as it not attached to the fibreglass work below the bunk or to the anchor locker bulkhead.
If people could comment on arrangements they have on other Storm’s I would be most gutful.

Robin & Mary

ALCHEMY, Storm 33

Warsash, Hamble

Jolly Roger
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Inner Forestay Storm 33

Post by Jolly Roger » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:42 pm

The loading a spinnaker downhaul can exert is immense, so I would have though an inner forestay with a storm jib would have been less. I would have no hesitation in using that U bolt.

No doubt a Storm owner will be along shortly with confirmation of this.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

ndt228

Post by ndt228 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:52 pm

My reading of other threads would suggest that it would be "normal" for a baby-stay anchor point to be braced down to the hull or at least a bulkhead. Otherwise it is your foredeck which must bear the entire load. To be pedantic, just because you have been using the U-bolt as a spinnaker-pole downhaul attachment point already does not actually mean it is adequate.....it just hasn't broken anything yet.
You may have seen something similar in this position employed on other boats, but unless you have asked what lies below the deck it does not prove that its OK on yours.
Personally I would not take the risk.

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:15 pm

Perhaps the best solution would be to contact Ed Dubois, the designer and ask his opinion.
http://www.duboisyachts.com/Design/Naval-Contact-Us/
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

petrel

Post by petrel » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:18 pm

I was advised, by a rigging firm, to NOT connect a storm jib forestay to that U-bolt. Instead, a new, more robust fitting should be created with a lower part that bolts through the anchor locker bulkhead.
An experienced rigger should be able to offer some helpful comment.

I changed tack, so to speak, when I realised the work involved. Instead I bought a sleeve that goes around the rolled up genoa. It works well (when practising on a quiet summer's evening on the mooring....)