Rigging a spinnaker - GK29

TonyMJ
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Rigging a spinnaker - GK29

Post by TonyMJ » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:39 pm

I have a recently purchased GK29, which I'm still exploring.I have a spinnaker pole with a bridle for uphaul and downhaul. The uphaul haliard is in place and holds the pole at the right angle, but I think there should be a downhaul too. It's not clear where this would fit and how it should be tensioned. Should it run to a block at the base of the babystay or a block at the base of the mast? One complication is that I have a liferaft mounted between the babystay and the coachroof, making it more complicated to run lines through this area. Any suggestions anyone?
Tony
GK29 - Gia Konda

Vegable

Re: Rigging a spinnaker - GK29

Post by Vegable » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:20 pm

I'm surprised no-one has replied to this by now. If you type "Rigging a Spinnaker Pole" (or other such words) into Google you'll get a massive amount of info including U Tube videos. You are right about having a downhaul and yes, it should be mounted somewhere near the foot of the mast. However using pulleys fastened to the stantion posts you will be able to rig 2 sets of guys, 1 for each tack. The guys would then go to the end of the spinnaker pole instead of being at the centre. The only snag with this set-up is that you've got additional ropes and pulleys and will need some sort of cleats by the cockpit.
Mike
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"

petrel

Post by petrel » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:30 pm

Sorry have Storm but I'm thinking that if Westerly fitted your boat with a pole, they would have provided an attachment point for the downhaul somewhere. On my boat there is a metal "D" bracket on the foredeck for clipping on a block together with its rope. Have you got anything similar?

TonyMJ

Post by TonyMJ » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:53 pm

Thanks for the replies. The pole has a yoke for both uphaul and downhaul and it looks as though the downhaul should go to a block attached to the base of the babystay and thence to another block at the base of the mast. This would give control over the downhaul tension and also allow the pole to by gybed end for end without too much difficulty. The only slight complication is that there's a liferaft mounted on the foredeck between the babystay and the mast, making it difficult to run the downhaul here. I'll move the liferaft and try it out.
Tony
GK29 - Gia Konda