Loose footed vs Boltrope Mainsail for Centaur

benashmore
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Loose footed vs Boltrope Mainsail for Centaur

Post by benashmore » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:01 am

Our mainsail has given up the ghost & we are going to have to replace it.

Most of the sailmakers are advising loose footed for performance / trimming.

We plan to use stack pack / lazy jacks as already rigged. We also have (I think) the original rigging with fixed clew and furling lines.

Two questions -

Is it worth the hassle of rigging outhaul / fiddling with stack pack ropes - has anyone got any experience of loose foot in Centaur and would they recommend?

Similarly - Kemp sailmakers say lots of people have modified their furling systems so it is not around boom. Again - is it worth doing this?

Any thoughts / opinions appreciated

Ben

aquaplane
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: Loose footed vs Boltrope Mainsail for Centaur

Post by aquaplane » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:36 am

Hi Ben,

My Centaur has a main with a bolt rope along the foot and a fixed out haul.

There isn't much room for a pair of tripple blocks but I may just be able to get some in between the clew and the end of the boom then I can run a line back to a cleat on the boom, it's on my "thinking about it" list.

Another thing on the "thinking about it " list is a towed traveler on the main sheet but the adjustable stops work for now.

It has been converted to slab reefing and I think it's better than round the boom roller reefing.

I have a Barton kit on the side of the boom to take the reefing lines but have to go to the mast to hook the tack on a rams horn and also to to work the halyard.

I keep having a rush of blood thinking it would be nice to run all the lines back to the cockpit but I see sense when I realise I will have to take the headlining down to fit all the hardware to the coach roof. When I can afford the hardware and new lines and feel like tackling the headlining I may do it.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

benashmore
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by benashmore » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:19 am

Thanks Bob

Think I will stick with Boltrope / fixed outhaul. Really not convinced trimming will make that much difference, plus of course there's only point in doing if you are prepared to constantly fiddle with trim.

Will look into slab reefing. Thanks for advice.

Ben

PS 3yr old son insisted on smiley :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted:

petrel

Post by petrel » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:22 pm

Hi, I had this discussion with Hyde sails when they made me a new mainsail about 10 years ago for my previous boat.
They suggested loose-footed, I insisted on a bolt rope to fit into my stackpack. When they made the sail, they inserted a piece into the foot that allowed the draft to be maintained very nearly all the way down to the boom. So I reckon I got (nearly) loose footed performance: certainly, speed in light winds was transformed. In heavier winds, drawing down on the Cunningham removed this insert and the sail took up a much flatter shape.
So, in summary, you can get the best of both worlds but have a conversation with the sailmaker.
Best wishes.