Centaur anchor and chain tube

spidercrab
Anti Spam measure:Yes
AntiSpam Text:westerly
Centaur anchor and chain tube

Post by spidercrab » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:03 pm

Finally used our anchor recently and a couple of things came to light.

1. Our boat came with 40m of what looks like 8mm of chain. When all the chain is used, the chain appears to be tied off somehow down in the forward chain locker. At the time I didn't investigate further but now I would like to be able add some rope to the end of the chain. I initially thought I would just add some rope to the end of the chain but then thought that the rope may not go back down the chain tube and could block it off. Usually there is no spare pair of hands to pull the rope through so I am not sure if that will work. The best thing I can come up with is to add a 2m length of rope and tie off in the locker and attach to the chain with a shackle. Then insert more rope between the end rope and the chain if needed as the anchor is being deployed.

I am wondering what others do? Ideally I would like just one long rope that will go down the tube and clear itself just like the chain..

2. We have the original Danforth type anchor that I believe was standard on the Centaur. I have noticed that the 2 large spades that dig into the sea bed, are slightly bent so that they are no longer on the same plane. The anchor was difficult to set on a sandy muddy bottom and I am wondering if the bend in the anchor could upset the performance of it. I also suspect that our technique may have contributed to it not setting well. I now understand that a good technique is to use gentle slow rear motion of the boat to set the anchor and then put an increasing amount of rear pull to set it firmly.

aquaplane
Anti Spam measure:No

Re: Centaur anchor and chain tube

Post by aquaplane » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:18 pm

IT sounds like you have a similar arrangement to mine.

The bit of string (called the bitter end) is to stop you getting too enthusiastic deploying your rode and letting go altogether. It is supposed to be light enough line to cut through easily in the event of emergency where you need to dump the lot quickly!

I have tried all chain rode and a rope/chain rode and neither will return to the anchor locker un aided. The chain piles up in the V of the locker and needs to be spread out or moved into the rest of the locker. It is a pain to do it alone but it can be done with much tooing and froing above and below deck.

The rope doesn't have the weight to fall into the locker so I had to pull that down too but it was easier on the hands.

I'm thinking of making my bitter end long enough to reach the foredeck then I can extend the rode with rope ( which I will keep in the cockpit locker ) before detaching the chain from the bitter end.

Your anchoring technique sounds about right.

I have a Danforth which came with the boat. I'm thinking of getting another type of anchor but haven't saved up enough or decided what to get yet, I'm leaning towards a Delta though.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

spidercrab

Post by spidercrab » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:29 am

Hi Bob,

Your experience is what I thought might happen. I may investigate a bitter end of length just enough to attach to the chain beyond the roller that also has an elastic cord attached. The cord may make the clogging of the pipe worse though.

I really want to avoid going back and forth to the locker to pull rope through. Anchoring is hard enough without that.

As for the second anchor, we also have a Delta which we switched to when we couldn't get the Danforth to bite well recently in Oxwich Bay. The Delta doesn't quite fit on our roller in a way that I can secure it easily. Although with some work such as an additional wood block to fasten the rear of the anchor to the deck, it may sit there in an acceptable way. We found that in the conditions where the Danforth wouldn't work well enough that the Delta hooked up quickly and positively. At the time we were in for a wind shift so the Delta also made more sense. However, we had some strong winds in the night that I would estimate to be about 30kts and we did drag the Delta. Sleeping, or rather not sleeping in the forward cabin I could hear what sounded like the anchor being dragged through gravel. At the time I was disappointed with the Delta dragging but on reflection perhaps we should have set it better. The forecast at the time was for the wind to drop off so we went asleep thinking the anchor was set enough for the expected winds. A lesson learnt.

Over this coming weekend, if I have time I am going to try to get the Delta fitted on the anchor roller and will post here how I get on.

spidercrab

Post by spidercrab » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:45 pm

I had a good look at the anchor and 8mm chain.

First surprise was that I had an extra 15m of chain that was too kinked to pull through the pie. Also noticed that the zip ties tied onto the chain by the previous owner were at 5m intervals and not 10m intervals as I had previously wrongly assumed. That would have messed up my calculations for sure.

Second surprise was that there was a big diameter bitter end shacked onto it. I pulled about 10m or do of rope through before stopping. The rope would just go back down the tube on its own but it did block once and I had to visit the fore locker to pull through.

So I have decided to make up a couple of spliced lengths of 12mm anchor rope that I can add in between the bitter end and the chain. This will allow me to add extra rope when needed yet not risk a rope blocked pipe or time wasting trips back and forth to the anchor locker.

I tried to fit the 6kg Delta to the bow but it was just the wrong shape to sit securely on the bow and not foul anything.

My plan was then to investigate replacing the Danforth anchor with a similar size one which would mean the Centaur Danforth brackets could be used. I found a similar and anchor at my local chandlers and to my surprise it was just a s bent as our old one. The 2 triangular plates were not quite on the same plane just like our old one.

So I will persevere with the old Danforth now that I can accurately lay out enough chain and make a better assessment of the Danforth.

Anyone know the weight of the Danforth on a Centaur?

Uncle Albert
AntiSpam Text:Westerly

Post by Uncle Albert » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:41 pm

I too have loads of chain up front attached to a Danforth.

I have a windlass so have colour coded my chain with paint following the snooker ball sequence White, Red, yellow, Green, etc relating to the lengths of 5 meters. Not my own idea I admit, think I read it in a PBO some years ago.

It also had a habit of snagging if paying out past the 'Blue Ball'. Having experimented with an inverted large funnel bonded into the lower sections of the chain locker, (Not very successful as its very difficult to trim the funnel to match the hull shape, but others may be more successful), I resorted to a piece of melamine off cut (about 4 inches wide) which I installed with a 45 degree slope from aft to for'ard so the initial input of chain can slide away from the pipe and hopefully find a home in the locker corners(!) before the bulk of it arrives and builds a pyramid. Its worked Ok this season so far.
Uncle Albert
CR1702

aquaplane

Post by aquaplane » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:18 am

I was pleasantly surprised when our Danforth held firm in quite strong winds for a couple of days in Puilladobhrain last week. I had heard tales of boats dragging there as the bottom is well churned up. The boat behind us did drag what looked like a CQR, good experience for the Sea Cadets aboard I'm sure.
I'm still thinking about a different anchor though, it's the stowing of the thing that will be a pain.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

smudger
AntiSpam Text:antispam

Post by smudger » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:16 am

Hi,i have a 10kg bruce as my main anchor sits on the bow roller lovely and keep the danforth as a spare.Ray C2118 :wink: