rocna anchor for a Centaur

tlodder
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

rocna anchor for a Centaur

Post by tlodder » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:06 am

I am in need of a replacement anchor. I am looking at the Rocna but their sizing chart is suggesting that 10kg would be suitable for my Centaur. Though they do say that they have over-specified the sizing.
Ideally an 8kg anchor would suit my needs but unfortunately they don't produce an 8kg. My choices are 6kg or 10kg. My concern is the recovery of the anchor as it would be a manual lift and I'm not getting any younger and really don't want the hassle of installing a windlass.

Most of the time i would be anchoring in mud or sand of the south-coast of the UK.

I have two questions.

1. Would a 6kg Rocna anchor be suitable for a Centaur under normal conditions F5,F6?

2. Would this anchor fit a delta bow roller?

appreciate any comments you may have

Tony
:) :)

rhumlady

Re: rocna anchor for a Centaur

Post by rhumlady » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:54 pm

You may want to be a bit wary of the Rocna as they have had quality problems and bent shanks I believe. Down to poor castings if I remember correctly.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213

philipstevens
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by philipstevens » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:45 pm

This recall was in 2011, mainly by WestMarine of the USA.

Read the blog - http://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/-10562-1.html
The facts were disputed by the CEO and a former production manager.
So, buyer beware.

You should be OK with new models, but as Rhumlady says, be wary. I can't advise you on what size to go for.
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net

tlodder

Post by tlodder » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:26 am

Never new that, thank-you! :shock:

Other than confidence in your own ability, one needs confidence in the boat and the kit you use. I don't suppose for a second a climber would climb with a frayed rope. Lives really could be at risk with sub-standard equipment.

Is there no kite-mark/standard requirements that have to be met when selling this sort of stuff.

Again, thanks for the heads-up, I will be vary wary indeed. :? :?

petrel

Post by petrel » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:30 pm

6kg sounds tiny.....
Of course the weight also includes the chain. So if you do buy bigger, you can cut down on the overall effort needed by restricting yourself to 10m chain + lots of anchor warp.

poachers lady
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by poachers lady » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:55 am

Hi. Just a few thoughts on this.

I have a 25lb CQR on my Centaur. Somehow seems about right and original spec. As for the extra weight of the chain when pulling up the anchor, that is relative to the depth as you are only lifting the vertical length of chain. In your case it looks as though you will be mooching around in fairly shallow waters. In that scenario anchor warp is not going to be much help anyway since the required chain length is likely to be much longer than your mooring depth.

My boat came with a windlass, but it had totally seized so I scrapped it. OK, 25lb is heavy, but once clear of the bottom one can keep a steady pull over a decent sized bow roller. Use a chain hook on a strop if you need to take a breather part way up!

Soon be time to be doing all again (weather permitting!).

Happy Sailing.
Regards

Mike

Poachers Lady
Centaur

petrel

Post by petrel » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:23 pm

Hi, Poacher's Lady. You're right in that the power you have to exert is the same, whether you're pulling up the first 10m of chain or the last 10m of chain. But the total energy you need is clearly much greater with the longer chain.

You may be fitter than me, but when I had to pull up a 35lb CQR + 30m chain (on a Storm), I was starting out brightly enough but was knackered by the time the anchor made it on deck. Now I'm using a 10kg Spade +10m chain+ warp and it's practically a pleasure, by comparison.