Centaur Volvo MD2B Starting

Uncle Albert
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Centaur Volvo MD2B Starting

Post by Uncle Albert » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:14 pm

Any comments or feedback on experiences re the following will be useful.
After not being used for more than 2 days the engine needs a good 20 - 30 seconds cranking to fire up. Thank heavens for my excellent batteries. However I do feel for my poor starter motor. It would seem that during the period of inactivity the fuel drains back and needs drawing through. I leave the tank fuel cock always open. I have had various advices suggesting manipulation of engine off pull control, which may then kick in a cold start process, but can find nothing in relation to this in any manuals I have.

There is a sprung loaded button at the rear and on top of the last fuel filter (I think) which is brass finished and a couple of 'tickles' of this seems to spurn the engine into starting better but this of course requires the lifting of deck grating and engine hatch cover. (a bit of a pain)

I am using Red diesel and once fired up the engine is sweet running (for an MD2B). Subsequent starts are no problem and normal activity results after a couple of seconds cranking. This latter performance suggests to me that there is no air leaks in the fuel lines stc.
My proposed solution for which I would like comment is as follows:-
Install an electric primer pump after the last filter bowl, and by way of a push button, prime the fuel system prior to cranking. I have acquired a suitable pump which seems to provide for an uninterrupted flow even when not operating. I am not a diesel expert and would look for any guidance in this.
Uncle Albert
CR1702

admiralfitzroy

Re: Centaur Volvo MD2B Starting

Post by admiralfitzroy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:22 am

On my old Volvo MD2B, the spring loaded button you mention (the cold start or choke) should stay in after you press it if the throttle is at idle. Then try starting with a small amount of throttle. It should then start and pop out when you increase the throttle, once the engine is running. This always worked on mine and was always required with a cold engine.

Good luck
Allan

Rob Pike

Post by Rob Pike » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:14 pm

just remember to move the throttle first before you engage cold start. otherwise it will cancel it out

Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:33 pm

Many thanks for the responses. This is the first guidance I have had in starting the engine. Strange that that there is nothing in the Volvo manual on starting procedures.

UA
Uncle Albert
CR1702

Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert » Thu May 14, 2009 10:09 pm

As a follow up to my earlier question and in regard to the responses provided, I can say that the application of 1/3rd throttle followed by the depressing of the 'magic' brass button on the injection pump results in a start up within about 5 seconds. many thanks for the advice given.
Uncle Albert
CR1702

aquaplane
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by aquaplane » Fri May 22, 2009 12:06 am

I'll try the 1/3 throttle and brass button on my MD11C this W/E. It's always taken ½ a min cranking even with the brass button up to now. The brass button seems to pop staight out though. One time the engine did fire up after 5 seconds, but only once and I don't know what I did different.

When it's warm, ie. not first start of the day, it fires up just like my car, that's first flick BTW.

Bob.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

oslin04

Post by oslin04 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi The advise I have had is to set the throttle at full, then press the brass button and reduce the throttle almost as soon as it fires and I have never had any trouble starting. :D
Keith

aquaplane

Post by aquaplane » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:03 am

Eureka!

The cold start button stays in if I put some throttle on before I press it. The engine now starts without any effort at all, I'm a happy bunny.

Since I "found" the second decompression lever I can now turn the engine over with the hand starting handle, it even starts from cold by hand using the cold start button.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

sakean99
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by sakean99 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:36 pm

For first time starting after a week or two unused, I always used to lift the decompressors, set the throttle to fast idle, press the cold start button & swing it a few times by hand to prime the fuel & get some oil around the bearings. If the batteries were dodgy I would battery crank & drop one decompressor when up to speed, it will easily start on one cylinder, once it starts running reasonably smooth, drop the second decompressor.

When warm it could be started by hand, one cylinder at a time. Once it has been running, it was easy to start & very reliable if rather noisy.
Pentland "Sea Rush" out of Caernarfon, N Wales
Boaty junk to dispose of? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip/