Volvo 2002 Cold Starting

Alastair Miller
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Volvo 2002 Cold Starting

Post by Alastair Miller » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:58 pm

Having spent some time searching for words of wisdom I can see that issues when cold starting a Volvo 2002 are not unusual, but I'd be grateful for any further advice.

I'm new to owning a cruiser, and have recently taken delivery of a Westerly Merlin which I am delighted with in every respect except 1 - the engine. She was launched 3 weeks ago, and every attempt to start from cold is a nightmare. I'm using the cold start procedure (Full throttle then operate the stop handle) with little success. All successfull cold starts have been achieved with either Easystart or using the decompression lever to give 1 cyclinder. When hot she starts first time.

Standard servicing has been done over the winter (filters, oil etc), and the previous owner had some work done on one of the injectors last autumn. I am happy to take his word that apart from the usual first start of the season he had no particular problem with engine which appears to have been looked after as well as the rest of the boat.

The batteries appear to be OK, with a meter showing 12.7 and 12.6 volts across each one with no load, and Under starting conditions the load drops to 11.3. On my first starting attempt the boatyard brought along another battery that was twice the size of the installed pair which was connected by jump leads to the starting battery but this made no difference. I've bled the fuel system at the fuel pump, and there is no water in the separator.

Another member of my club has the same engine fitted, and after being on his yacht today, it appeared to me that when starting he had a faster turnover speed than I do - could this be a clue ?

Can anyone suggest where to go next ? I'd like to be convinced that the cold start procedure is doing something -- how can I check ?

regards

VicS
Anti Spam measure: No

Re: Volvo 2002 Cold Starting

Post by VicS » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:44 pm

11.3 volts sounds a bit high. Can you also check at the starter motor while cranking.

I suspect there may be some resistance somewhere and you'll find a very much lower figure at the starter hence the low turn over speed. Resistance could be a poor connection anywhere from battery +ve through the isolator switch to the solenoid even the solenoid contacts themselves and the negative connections fron the engine back to the battery negative.

I'm not holding my breath over it but something always worth checking.

Starting fluid is bad news for a diesel engine. It washes away all the lubrication and with a compression ignition engine you have no control over the point in the compression stroke at which ignition may occur. Very early ignition can do severe damage!

artydan

Post by artydan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:22 pm

I sail on a Feeling with a 2003 volvo, that never starts very well. Same principle of cold starting too. It takes a lot of turning over. Never use easy start, or rather dont allow the engine to get addicted to it. I dont know anything about diesels engines....just experienced a few engines on boats i have sailed on.

artydan

Post by artydan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:23 pm

I meant to say that the Feeling engine, 2003 gets better with use, thats the important bit with any diesel, I know that much!

Uncle Albert
Anti Spam measure: No

Post by Uncle Albert » Sun May 03, 2009 6:29 pm

I add for what its worth (Suggested by other members of my club but never personnally tried by me) the following:-
Rather than easy start, (as others have said addiction and de-lubing the bores just when it needs it most), try WD40, It contains lubricant and has a lower flash point carrier in the aerosol so may assist.
Uncle Albert
CR1702