New Beta difficulty starting SOLVED!

Hillary
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

New Beta difficulty starting SOLVED!

Post by Hillary » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:21 pm

As many of you will know I re-engined my Centaur with a Beta 20. I have been very happy with the engine but for one irritating habit. When I started the engine it would take 5 seconds or so to fire. Not very long but I always imagined a new engine would just go at the first turn of the key. However more worrying was that after it had been running for around 30 to 90 seconds it would stop. It would restart immediately and then either just run or stop again after another 30 seconds. It always ran fine after the third start and I just got used to its starting quirk. This winter I replaced the fuel line and the old glass bulb type water trap with a CAV 962 type Fuel filter and water trap. But the engine continued to need three starts.

However a couple of weekends ago the engine stopped completely in heavy seas and refused to start until we were in calm water. Fortunately we were able to sail into Portsmouth harbour. The following weekend after a great sail from the WOA rally at Newport the engine failed again when we attempted to turn into Ryde Harbour. I strongly suspected rubbish in the tank was being stirred up by the wave motion. So I set about making up a fuel polishing and tank jet wash system. This worked and I was able to clean the tank and polish the fuel. However I had to remove the tap from the tank. It was in a bad way so i replaced it. It was joined to the tank by a short piece of pipe that looked like a 1/4 BSP male-female union. When i tried to clean out the tube it seemed to be obstructed by some sort of rubber valve. I realised it was some sort of anti-leak device designed to stop a broken fuel pipe from dumping the contents of the tank in the bilge. I also realised I had just found the source of the difficult starts.

Sure enough the engine now starts at the first turn of the key and runs perfectly. The short tube thing is in the bin!

Hillary
Moonshine, Centaur CR1149

UserError
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Re: New Beta difficulty starting SOLVED!

Post by UserError » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:18 pm

Hi Hillary,
Glad you got that sorted. I don't want to read bad things about Beta engines....

Was that the original fuel tank, with the rubber widget in the tap?

Thanks.
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton

Hillary
Anti Spam measure: No

Re: New Beta difficulty starting SOLVED!

Post by Hillary » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi As far as I can tell it was the original fuel tank and tap. I can't say for sure but its certainly been in there a very long time.
Moonshine, Centaur CR1149