Cutlass bearing replacement

Stoker1538
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Cutlass bearing replacement

Post by Stoker1538 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:43 pm

Hello I have noticed some slight play in my propeller shaft on my centaur

I believe this could be a worn cutlass bearing. The propeller is already off, how easy is it to remove the old bearing from the boat? And is there a specific size I need for the centaur or are they just matched to the prop shaft diameter?

If anyone has a guide of how to do the job I’d be most grateful

Thanks

mikebuggy

Re: Cutlass bearing replacement

Post by mikebuggy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:54 pm

Cutless bearings are available in many sizes. The types used in Westerlys are usually pretty standard and widely available. You need to measure shaft diameter, bearing length, and bearing outside diameter. You should just be able to see the outside diameter of the bearing (its bronze jacket) if you look closely at your P bracket or bearing housing bracket, The bearing is usually comprised of a rubber( or sintered material) sleeve bonded into a bronze or brass cylinder. (Occasionally other materials used). There are various methods for removal, and gear can usually be borrowed from any competent boatyard. With shaft in place there are 2 basic ways: 1: A special puller is used together with 2 halves of a thin lengthways-split tube of appropriate diameter placed and clamped together behind the P-bracket, The puller is used on the P-bracket to push/pull the tube against the bearing slowly driving it down the shaft and out of the housing. 2: A more simple puller, acting on a simple tube is uded to push the bearing back up the shaft. The bearing is then gently and carefully hacksawed off. With shaft out: use an ordinary hub puller and a suitable tube or mandrel to drive the bearing out either way.
In desperation, with no shaft, it is possible to make hacksaw cuts lengthwise inside the bearing and, once cut and thus weakened, the bearing can be sufficiently distorted and twisted out.
Dont forget whatever method you use to find the securing grubscrews or allen keys and remove these before even trying. There can be anything from 1 to 3 and they may not be on the same side. If you have a rope striper fitted you may need to remove this too as sometimes the securing screws can also lodge into the bearing casing.

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:22 pm

There a number of videos on YouTube on how to remove and fit cutlass bearings if you do a search.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Willhc

Post by Willhc » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:55 am

Instructions are on the Westerly Wiki: https://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/weste ... eplacement

Good luck.

Stoker1538

Post by Stoker1538 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:11 pm

Many thanks for your help guys, will measure the old bearing first so I know what to buy