Outboard bracket backing

Gk24Nixie
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Outboard bracket backing

Post by Gk24Nixie »

Hi all. I'm shortly to fit an auxiliary outboard bracket to my gk24. Any thoughts as to what size/thickness of ply I should use as a backing to spread the load. Initially it will have a 4hp 4 stroke on it but may go slightly bigger in the near future. As always,Thanks
Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure: No

Re: Outboard bracket backing

Post by Jolly Roger »

Generally a thickness of about ¾ inch of marine ply is what should be used. This should be set over a large area of the side of the transom and set on wet fiberglass to ensure an even load.

Presumably you are only fitting an outboard as you do not have an inboard. If you have an inboard, then why are you fitting it? Inboard engines are more reliable than outboards. Over in France I have seen many boats of a similar size that have no engine fitted or an outboard. Instead they carry a large sweep (oar) and scull their boats when sailing in close proximity to a berth is no longer possible.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/
Gk24Nixie
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by Gk24Nixie »

I have an inboard,a 10hp Nanni diesel,but the over-cautious side of me likes to try and cover all eventualities and although I've had the inboard running and intend giving it a full service it's still a bit of an unknown quantity.
Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure: No

Post by Jolly Roger »

In that case, then save the work and expense. Spend the money on getting the Nanni checked and the balance on a sail maker to come out and show you how to get the best out of your sails so you can sail better. Nanni engines are based on Kuboto industrial engines, used throughout the world on building sites and the like. They are simple diesel engines without any complex electronics, so little to go wrong. So stop worrying about what might happen and go sailing.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/