Anyone in the south with an MD2B?

Polibon
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Anyone in the south with an MD2B?

Post by Polibon » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:24 pm

I have waited over a month for someone to respond to my post about my smoking MD2B, and had nothing at all, so perhaps I may get a response this way.

I'm looking to get together a group of MD2B owners on the south coast so we can help each other keep these motors on the road...err sea.
Parts seem to be available, and complete engines pop up quite regularly at reasonable prices, but expertise seems to have evaporated, so we need to self-help. I have a complete spare engine and MS gearbox in my garage, which I'm told was running before removal, but as a motorcycling two-stroke petrolhead, I have no expertise in diesels - but I am learning fast!

It would be really useful to meet up with someone with a properly running MD2B so I can gauge how far out mine is, and also to share experiences of issues, failures, parts sources etc.

These engines are incredibly robust and simply built so should really be running into the next century unless people do stupid things with them, so if a few of us get together to provide a technical resource pool it should help us all.

Any takers?
Paul
Centaur 'Katy' at Hythe SC

TyroSailor
Anti Spam measure: No

Re: Anyone in the south with an MD2B?

Post by TyroSailor » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:33 pm

I don't have mine any more but I did learn a lot about it in the two years I did have it. I'll be on board Tyro from Friday and could come over to Hythe the middle of next week if you like.

Nothing further to add to the thread about the smoke though :(
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

UserError

Post by UserError » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:33 am

Hi Paul,
I'm south, in Littlehampton, so not terribly near Hythe. Also have an MD2B for the foreseeable future, although the future is a bit murky.

I'm similarly on a learning curve and getting down & dirty. Also have pretty reasonable general engine/mechanical experience from my earlier petrolhead days.

I can't help with your smoking unfortunately. If the smoke is too much to live with, is it worth getting your spare running on land to check it, then swapping the whole thing over? My understanding is that a straight swap can be done in a day, which I'm my mind is preferable to spending many sessions upside down or contorted in the engine compartment.

Have you posted on the YBW forum? A larger pool of experience there.
There is also a US forum Old Marine Engines, with a wealth of old-timers' knowledge including the MD series. I haven't had a response, but maybe worth a look if you haven't already been there. http://www.oldmarineengine.com/discus/messages/3/3.html
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton

BrightStar

Post by BrightStar » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:17 am

What kind of smoke are you getting? The colour and duration is a good pointer to the problem, it could be, if your compression is OK, that a decoke of the exhaust and injector service is all thats needed for black smoke.
Brightstar
Griffon
On the Orwell

SeaDog

Post by SeaDog » Tue May 01, 2018 9:13 pm

Smoking MD2B hey. Just cut its allowance so it cant buy and more cigarettes will solve it. :lol:

Forget 2 strokes, they always smoked. :lol: :lol:

Rings, valve seals if its blue.

Always have fresh oil and clean fuel and they should keep on going!

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Tue May 01, 2018 9:49 pm

I'll be around from tomorrow afternoon, sailing to Eling to scrub off in the evening. Could call at Hythe on the way back on Thursday and will be around till Saturday. I sailed through the moorings last week and didn't see Katy - is she in the water yet?
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton