Oil change suction pump

Gk24Nixie
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Oil change suction pump

Post by Gk24Nixie »

Hi all.Can anyone recommend a good value (cheap!)pump for removing engine oil via dipstick hole? Thanks
BrightStar
Anti Spam measure: No

Re: Oil change suction pump

Post by BrightStar »

The best is the Pela 6000, it will hold 6 litres and useful for all sorts of things, sucking around the bottom of fuel tanks, draining bilges etc
Brightstar
Griffon
On the Orwell
Vegable

Post by Vegable »

Lidl and Aldi frequently have 12v oil pumps at a cheap price in their twice weekly offers. Can't remember how much but well under £20, I
think about a tenner. Bought one 3 years ago and does engine oil and gearbox oil without mess. The Pelas are very good but you do have a largish tank with them where as the Aldi ones are just a pump and you use (well I do) empty milk containers. You can't use the Aldi ones for diesel or water btw.
Mike.
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"
TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor »

...and before anyone starts rubbishing their products, I've had several very good tools from Aldi, the best being a set of ten diamond needle files for £6.99. Can't speak for Lidl.

Apropos of which, you might find this amusing.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL7jyXCQ2Zc
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton
Polibon

Post by Polibon »

I just bought the Aldi one on someone elses recommendation (not Tyro) and it is great, and a bargain!
Paul
Gary&Dawn

Post by Gary&Dawn »

I use a pela 6000 and is very good, it certainly has some suck, i had to buy another tube recently as the one that looks like a bicycle brake cable rusted due to sucking water from engine bilge, i definately recommend the pump.
Memory of Kent
CR 1740
Nigel Birch

Post by Nigel Birch »

+1 Pela 6000 given 10 years service so far....
Nigel
Konsort "Willow" K200 Topsham
BrightStar

Post by BrightStar »

I have had my Pela for 10+ years and use it for oil changes on lots of engines each year, draining water from difficult to reach areas of bilge, suck oil from my home heating oil tank for bonfire starting, all sorts of things. Had to change the pick up hose because I got the original jambed in a tight spot (used a bit of irrigation hose) and only now beginnng to show its age

Cant recommend highly enough
Brightstar
Griffon
On the Orwell
UserError

Post by UserError »

If Aldi or Lidl aren't obliging, eBay will. I bought a 12v pump for doing this (maybe just over a tenner) but haven't used it for that purpose yet. I did use it to pump 40litres of diesel & that went ok.
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton
Katouf
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by Katouf »

Regularly sucking out the old oil through the dipstick hole doesn't give access to all the oil at the aft end of the crankcase and some of the old remaining oil is not a pretty sight. A fellow Centaur owner with an MDIIc, who happens to be an ex BP/Shell engineer, has made a modification with some interesting plumbing alterations to enable him to access the drain plug under the engine at its lowest point in the bilges.
As a normal MD2B owner, will these vacuum pumps reach the darker regions of the crankcase and enable a complete oil change rather than a partial one?

Alan
Centaur 505 Katouf