Outboard for Centaur

Gordie
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Outboard for Centaur

Post by Gordie » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:01 pm

Hi , does anyone have any advice on a good outboard to use as a backup for my centaur ? Tried a 3.5 hp tohatsu 4 stroke short shaft but it was not up to the task of moving the boat ,
I was thinking of either a 6 hp or 8 hp tohatsu 4 stroke long shaft , this would just be to get me out of trouble should I have problems with my inboard ,
Many thanks
Gordie 👍
Fort William

Gary-Cottam
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Re: Outboard for Centaur

Post by Gary-Cottam » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:07 pm

I had a 5hp Suzuki on mine, bit found it difficult to get on the transom mount, put on the dinghy etc.

I swapped for a 2.5hp, it will push my Centaur around the harbour, but not against the sea.

I have now replaced the inboard for one that is reliable, and now I may even remove the transom mount.

With a short shaft even in moderate seas the prop was out of the water 50% of the time, so if the main function is as an auxiliary then a long shaft would be the way to go. I found the Suzuki 5hp power adequate.
Westerly Centaur 1421 - Gemini
Haven Marina, Ipswich

Gordie

Post by Gordie » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:26 pm

Thanks for the reply, my main engine is reliable now I have sorted fuel problems out but even a brand new unit could break down , I want the outboard just as a backup and will not be coming off the transom mount , was thinking of an 8 hp , does anyone have any more experiences with using outboards on a centaur? Thanks in advance , Gordie
Fort William

Gary-Cottam
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by Gary-Cottam » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi Gordie,

Hopefully, someone else will pitch in with their thoughts, but here are mine, just to kick things off.

As previously noted if primarily to be used as an auxillary then should be a long shaft, with as much of the prop in the water once lowered.

My experience says 2.5 will push her around the harbour, out at sea something a little bigger would be better, I think 5 or 5 would do the job.

Looking at the weight, using Suzuki as an example, different engines can share the same block, and therefore are often the same weight:

DF2.5 13KG
DF5 25KG
DF6 25KG
DF8 40KG

Looking at this numbers I would prefer the 6 over the 8, it has enough power, but saves quite a bit of weight.

Price I guess would also be a big consideration.

I too would be interested in what others think.
Westerly Centaur 1421 - Gemini
Haven Marina, Ipswich

Gordie

Post by Gordie » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:12 pm

Thanks for the advice Gary , I don't want to buy one and find it's underpowered and not up to the task of getting me out of trouble , likewise I don't want to go too big as you pointed out the weight difference, thanks again , Gordie
Fort William