RE Engine Fulmar

RAUGHTER
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: WESTERLY

RE Engine Fulmar

Post by RAUGHTER » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi
I have the 2002 Volvo penta in my Fulmar
Looking to change engine and thinking of the Beta 30- Does anyone have any experience of this engine. ie is it an easy fit ? Does it have the power ?
or is there a similar priced other brand out there ? any advise welcome. Also is there a market fora 30year old volvo 2002 running ok.

John Raughter
Fulmar 397

Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: RE Engine Fulmar

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:54 pm

My Fulmar has a 2009 Beta 28hp fitted (now being rated at 30hp). This was done before I purchased it, but there are no special bearers for the engine mounts. I fitted a Gori 2 bladed 14"x9" folding prop and there is plenty of power. For gentle cruising at about 5 knots I will be running at about 1800 rpm. For 6 knots this raises to about 2400 rpm. Flat out I reach just over 7 knots.

Beta are very helpful with technical assistance and backup service. They will supply the engine and parts for self installation, or you can use one of their agents or a boatyard of your choice. Beta are based on a Kubota industrial engine, so spares are plentiful and easy to obtain.

You should be able to sell the old Volvo on eBay, but do not expect a fortune. Alternatively sell it on Boats and Outboards.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

RAUGHTER
AntiSpam Text: WESTERLY

Post by RAUGHTER » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:36 pm

Thanks for reply Roger, I have a Kiwi way prop (3 blade plastic feathering type) which they say will work best with the beta 30 with a 2.5 to 1 gearbox. The 30. Beta revs at max 3600 .
Does this sound ok to you ?? Or would you think you should change prop as well ?
John

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:53 pm

John

Have a chat with Beta and see what they suggest re the prop. Also chat with the supplier of Kiwi props, and if they say you can use the existing prop then you may save some money.

If I remember correctly my engine revs to 3400 rpm flat out in gear, but will reach 3600 rpm without load. Normally I never run the engine over 2800 rpm, as the higher the revs, the greater the increase in fuel consumption.

Earlier I forgot to mention that you will get a better price at the Southampton Boat Show than normal. For comparison I would check the equivalent Nanni engine as well as this is also based on a Kubota engine.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Definitely worth a trip to the Boat Show: my then engineer got a Vetus cheaply there. And you can get a cheap(ish) ticket through the WOA (or a free one if you're a RYA member).
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

steve parry
AntiSpam Text: Pentland

Post by steve parry » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:57 am

Hi All,

I think you will find that the boat show tickets(buy one and get one free), applies to the WOA in full and you don't have to be in the RYA to get the offer. I have just purchased two tickets using the site and the code as stated in the offer on the WOA Wdebsite, and I got two tickets free...Bargain!

Regards

Steve Parry - WALKABOUT

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:44 pm

RYA: one free and (optionally) as many as you like for £12. Unless they've moved the goalposts since I got mine.
WOA: I thought it was just £12 each but I may be wrong. Two free is excellent!

I was shocked last year when I arrived and saw how much the full price was.

But do talk to the engine people when you're there.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

30wn78

Post by 30wn78 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:03 pm

If a boat show is too far away or you just can't make it I got a 25% discount over email on a beta 20.
Mention that your a member of WOA. ;)
Safety factor of 3 please.

GTom12

Post by GTom12 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:00 am

Hello to everyone, this is my first post on WOA. I plan to buy a Fulmar and I see, that the original engine is only 20HP. Is that enough for a ~5t boat?
Which is the better strategy: buying a boat with a rusty 30years old Bukh/Volvo in it at a discount (maybe 5k$ cheaper boat price). Or get one with a <10year young engine?

Fulmar433

Post by Fulmar433 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:27 pm

My Fulmar has the original Volvo 2002 (18hp) and I have never felt any need for additional power. I suppose I should add that my Fulmar is one of the last 32's built in 1991, so the engine isn't as old as most although it is 27 years old. In fact if I do open it up to full power, the transom seems to dig in and the gain in speed is only minimal over half to three quarters throttle. If an old engine has been looked after and is starting and running ok, why change it?
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

GTom12

Post by GTom12 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:31 pm

Fulmar433 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:27 pm
My Fulmar has the original Volvo 2002 (18hp) and I have never felt any need for additional power. I suppose I should add that my Fulmar is one of the last 32's built in 1991, so the engine isn't as old as most although it is 27 years old. In fact if I do open it up to full power, the transom seems to dig in and the gain in speed is only minimal over half to three quarters throttle. If an old engine has been looked after and is starting and running ok, why change it?
Sounds good to me:). How is the fuel consumption of the 2002? Are you satisfied with its reliability/service ($$$) needs?

Fulmar433

Post by Fulmar433 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:14 pm

In 7 years ownership, the only problem I have had with the engine was at the end of last season when it was cutting out on tick over. A bit of research suggested the fuel pump or blocked filter. I changed the pump and both filters which resolved the problem. The primary filter had quite a bit of muck in it, it was overdue changing, but I'm not convinced it was blocked. I think it was more likely the pump, but it's a sealed unit so can't get it apart without destroying it.
I have never really kept a record of fuel consumption as I sail far more than motor. When I bought the boat it was in Falmouth and I had to get it back to Kent, or as near as I could in a week and a bit off work. We motor sailed virtually the whole journey to maintain a decent cruising speed as we had the wind directly behind us most of the way. I set off with a full tank and topped up at Gosport with about £30 of diesel that got us back to Kent with plenty of spare.
As I moor some way from the nearest fuel pumps, I add the odd can of diesel and fill up on the odd occasion I go into a marina, it's not easy to say what sort of fuel consumption I get, but I think it is quite economical.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

FulmarOnia

Post by FulmarOnia » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:27 pm

If the choice was a 30 year old Bukh, that you could see working or £5,000 more for a much newer ( say 2-5 years old ) engine, then I would go for the Bukh with a £5,000 lower price and then budget say £500 pa towards a new engine. Reasons:
Bukh's are easy to repair, spares still made and will last a lot longer than 30 years
Newer engines - yes are newer, but you still don't know when they are going to expire , so always some risk with an engine.

On a boat I shared once we bought a 2nd hand Bukh 20 from an engineer who had swapped it out of a boat for an owner who thought he would replace the engine before he retired. We took the engine home, stripped it down and replaced a few worn parts and changed the cylinder head gasket, repainted it and swapped it for our old Bukh. The one we bought is still going strong 12 years later and has taken the boat to S Ireland, S Brittanny etc. I did something similiar on another boat but this time swapped the Bukh 20 for a Bukh 24. Most fitting costs were paid for by sale of old engine.

On the other hand if someone has just last month changed the engine for a Volvo D1-30 and done say 5 hours sea trials and it cost £5,000 more then I would go for that.