New owner Ocean lord

Hawken family
Anti Spam measure:Yes
AntiSpam Text:Westerly
New owner Ocean lord

Post by Hawken family » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:15 am

Hello ,have recently purchased an westerly ocean lord with a Volvo 20003 T engine ,it appears to have been laid up ashore for about 12 months with a nearly full tank of diesel . Currently the boat is a long way away from my home port ,am considering putting a pump into the bottom of. The tank to see what muck there is in the tank with a view to treating the fuel and using it to sail the boat home in about a months time it has a glass bottomed filter which is clear currently the surveyor could get the cap off the fuel tank for starters !!! Any advice would be helpful ...long term is to change the tank but looks like you would have to cut it up to get it out or move the engine forward .It also has a Volvo seal on the shaft ...not know the age or condition of the shaf† and being in a strange yard am just going to put some of the blue seal grease that they supply and hope it doesn't leak too seriously !!!

Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure:No

Re: New owner Ocean lord

Post by Jolly Roger » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:53 am

Welcome to Westerly ownership and the WOA Forum.

The fuel filler is a separate fitting with a short tube connecting it to the fuel tank. Have you tried using a pair of water pump pliers for extra leverage to undo the filler? There is probably a little oxidation to the threads of the filler as generally Westerly fitted alloy fittings. Over the years, the anodising on the threads has been worn away. Do not fret, if you can undo it, the coat the thread with waterproof grease.

If the tank had been nearly filled then you should have little problems if the diesel had been treated. Adding another treatment is a good thing as a preventative measure. The glass bowled filter is a good indicator the fuel was clean before layup. Getting a sample from the bottom of the tank is a sensible thing to do, but remember the draw off pipe is a short distance above the bottom of the tank so may not pick up small amounts of muck. I doubt you need to change the tank unless there are clear signs of a leak or it is rusting.

Volvo shaft seals are supposed to be changed every 7 years, but many are still working well after 15 years. Check the condition of the rubber for any signs of perishing, if there is then change immediately. Lubricating the seal with the seal grease is a wise idea. Remember to burp the air out of the seal when launched. Any leak will be an odd drip. If you do change the seal, I would advise fitting a vented seal to save having to burp the seal.

Just out of interest where is the Oceanlord currently and where is your home port.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Hawken family

Post by Hawken family » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:10 pm

Hello Roger
Currently the vessel is at Dartmouth and the destination is the Swale /Medway .
I was not aware of the problem with the filler ...it was the surveyor that pointed it out ....have you any idea what kind of fitting that might be ....some i have seen have just a slot mine on my current vessel is a star type key ......thank you for the information ....much appreciated

Fulmar433

Post by Fulmar433 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:04 pm

I have seen the star type key fillers and assumed they are opened with a standard winch handle. Most of the Westerly's have the filler on the cockpit floor directly above the tank and a simple screw on cap. If yours is connected via a flexible hose there is quite a selection on eBay mostly under £20.

I suspect if the fuel tank was left full it should be ok.

If you have doubts about the shaft seal, it is quite an easy job whilst ashore. It's a shame you don't know how old it is. I thought the recommendation is to change it every 5 years. I bought my Fulmar 7 years ago and the seal started leaking the year before last. The previous owner had only owned the boat for about 3 years and hadn't changed it, so it had done in excess of 8 years.

I bought my boat in Falmouth. I was quite nervous setting off in an unknown boat on such a long journey, but you soon realise how substantial a Westerly is. We set of from Falmouth heading for Plymouth, but got there quite early in the day, so pushed on to Dartmouth. It took us 8 days to the Medway after being stuck in Portsmouth for a day when it was blowing F8. So 6 days at sea from Dartmouth.

Edit: Just realised, the Ocean Lord has a centre cockpit so won't have the filler directly above the tank, so if you can't get it open, it shouldn't be too difficult to replace.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:26 am

To change the propeller shaft seal is pretty easy. You should be able to do it yourself anyhow.
Attached is an assembly instruction from Volvo.
Volvo_Einbauanleitung-Propellerwellendichtung.pdf
(249.92KiB)Downloaded 75 times
Good luck

ps to David - my Oceanranger is a center cockpit yacht and the filler is directly above the tank. :wink:
Wolfgang - s/v Adventure Galley, OR2

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:57 pm

Hawken family wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:10 pm
Currently the vessel is at Dartmouth and the destination is the Swale /Medway.
Then we shall no doubt be meeting shortly. I am berthed in Chatham Maritime Marina, which I can highly recommend if you are looking for a marina. I should not brag, but recently I sailed from Chatham to the Isles of Scilly and did it in 6 days, with one day off, singlehanded in my Fulmar. The choice of ports for your delivery in easy stages would be Weymouth, somewhere in the Solent, Brighton, Dover and then the Medway. 5 sailing days and having the tide with you most of the way.

If you are around next weekend from Friday 11 to Sunday 13, I am organising the WOA Medway Rally. You would be most welcome to join us, even if you do not have the boat delivered from Dartmouth. http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/pdfDoc ... ooking.pdf Just chatting with other owners will be very useful for you.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Fulmar433

Post by Fulmar433 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:47 pm

It's OK to brag Roger. My trip was in "easy" day sails. I messed up with the planning for day 2. Having travelled for about 12 hours to arrive in Dartmouth at 19.00 we set off again at 07.00 next morning without any real passage plan, only to discover that if we went straight across Lyme Bay we would arrive at Portland Bill with the tide against us at about it's strongest on one of the biggest tides of the year. We had a very easy day that day, going into Lyme Regis, an option with my bilge keels. We left about 05.00 next morning, but had effectively lost the day we made on the first day. Without the short day we would have done it in 5 from Dartmouth. My stops were Dartmouth, Lyme Regis, Poole (most expensive), Gosport, Brighton, Dover and Medway. If I did it again, I would be temped to push on to Newhaven rather than Brighton. Brighton, I believe is suffering a lot of silting, and from memory, Brighton to Dover is 65 nautical miles. Which was our longest day.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:16 pm

Poole would be cheaper on a buoy or (of course at anchor). The new(ish) marina is indeed not the cheapest, although there are others. I hope to investigate them in a few weeks' time.

But well done on doing the trip!
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton