Centaur engine cutting out

Gordie
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:Westerly
Centaur engine cutting out

Post by Gordie » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:39 am

Hi , bought myself a Centaur and very happy with boat , sailed from Nairn to Fort William and Fort William to Dunstaffnage, engine runs great although initial startup takes a lot of cranking over (2003 Volvo 20hp ) but afterwards starts well , however when it has been running for a few hours and I throttle back usually approaching canal locks, marina berths the engine cuts out every time ! I have replaced all fuel filters, polished the fuel and do not know what to try next , any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance, Gordie
Fort William

philipstevens
Anti Spam measure:Yes

Re: Centaur engine cutting out

Post by philipstevens » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:47 am

I had a 2003 with similar problems. The main problem was that the injectors were not spraying properly - one was, one dribbled and one did very little at all.

Another problem was that I had low compression pressure, due to worn rings and valve seats.

As a start, get the injectors checked and set.
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net

Gordie

Post by Gordie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:27 pm

Thanks for the advice , will get that checked , took fuel tank out and cleaned , surprised it was running at all really with the crud that came out , took for another test run to Dunstaffnage (still there) throttled back loads and engine kept going fine , just entering pontoon and cut out !
Fort William

Gordie

Post by Gordie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:30 pm

Motored back from Dunstaffnge yesterday (81 year old mother on board who does not like the sails up) engine ran for 6 hours no problems and did not cut out when throttled back !
It does however take a few turns on initial start up and I am going to fit a non return valve on the fuel line from the tank to the pump , has anyone any experience on this ?
Sorry for all of the questions but I am loving my boat and this form is a godsend ,
Gordie
Fort William

philipstevens

Post by philipstevens » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:44 pm

however take a few turns on initial start up
Mine was the same. It was low compression pressure due to the worn rings and worn valve guides and stems.

I had to turn it over for about 10 seconds decompressed to get some fuel into the cylinder to get some compression. Then it started up after about 5 or so seconds. Some models/versions of the 2001/2/3 do not have a decompression lever.

I also had injector problems as well - just to compound the situation.
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net

Gordie

Post by Gordie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:54 pm

Thanks Philip, mine does have a decompression lever but I have not used it yet , if it is rings and valve seals I will put up with it for this season and overhaul during layup , I have a 3.5hp short shaft tohatsu which I hope would get me out of trouble , I intend to get a drop down outboard bracket , do you know which one would best be suited for a Centaur and would my short shaft be ok ,
Sorry again for all the questions but I do not have your experience or knowledge
Gordie
Fort William

Gordie

Post by Gordie » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:41 pm

Removed and cleaned out fuel tank , no more cutting out and starts much better, , running sweet now , thanks for all your support , Gordie
Fort William

Gordie

Post by Gordie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:15 pm

Had a boat safety inspection prior to putting boat in canal for winter , the inspector knows these engines well and told me to put on full throttle, pull stop lever up then push back down as this initiates the cold start, starts much better now !
Fort William

Fulmar433

Post by Fulmar433 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:34 pm

My Fulmar has the 2002 and has been great until this year. I did put some slightly dodgy red diesel in the tank before putting the boat back in the water. Fortunately I did strain it through one of SWMBO pop socks which caught quite a bit of rubbish. As soon as I did it I realised I may have made a mistake. Within a couple of days of launching and after a long sail, I was approaching a mooring at tick over and the engine cut out. Restarted ok and the cut out again on tick over. All through the summer it has been fine, although the boat hasn't had as much use as I would have liked. 2 weeks ago I spent 5 days on the boat, which involved quite a bit of motoring due to lack of wind and the engine started cutting out again on tickover. A couple of days later I was able to reproduce the problem, getting the engine warm underload and then dropping back to tick over. I had done a bit of research which seemed to point to the fuel pump.
Today I have replaced the fuel pump and the two fuel filters and it seems to be running fine. I must own up to not having changed the primary filter since buying the boat 7 years ago. The glass bowl had always looked clean. I was rather shocked by he rubbish in the filter.
I now do not know if my problem was the fuel pump or the primary filter. The pump is one of the later sealed pumps, so not easy to take apart without destroying it.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent