Shaft seal for centaur

Niallo
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Shaft seal for centaur

Post by Niallo »

I've taken off the old stern gland/ stuffing box from my centaur as the rubber tube connecting it to the stern tube had corroded and was allowing water to leak in. I am thinking of fitting one of those volvo shaft seals just wondering if anyone knows a good Web site or place to get one.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Jolly Roger
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Shaft seal for centaur

Post by Jolly Roger »

Contact Silette Marine.
http://www.sillette.co.uk/shafts_seals_ ... _list.html
The Volvo seal needs burping to remove air on a regular basis, it is best to fit a vented or water lubricated seal. I fitted a Tides Marine water lubricated seal to my Fulmar and have been very pleased with it.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/
mikebuggy

Post by mikebuggy »

Agree the foregoing. Both the Volvo and Sillette models are very similar, but the latter has a breather nipple to allow you to fit an air tube to just above WL level, allowing the seal to auto-burp. I've used both types for many years and both are pretty good. You will need to know shaft diameter and stern tube diameter (where the boot will fit over the internal hollow stern tube). Neither are particularly expensive.
30wn78
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by 30wn78 »

May I recommend a radice seal. I got mine from lake engineering from eBay and it arrived quickly with good instructions. Just check and re check your shaft size.
Also these types of lip seals need a good surface to seal so a scratched shaft might cause problems.
Safety factor of 3 please.
Niallo
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by Niallo »

Cheers fellas was on to sillette the last day. Ordered a rmta shaft seal so hopefully it all works out.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk