Fitting a rope cutter to a Centaur - recommendations please

Hillary
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Fitting a rope cutter to a Centaur - recommendations please

Post by Hillary » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:19 pm

Hi Folks,

As many readers of this forum will know I am re-engining my Centaur. Since the work requires the removal and replacement of the prop and prop-shaft I thought I might as well do a few other bits too. The rudder will have to come off so I have purchased new rudder bearings from the Excellent Mr Hardy at Trafalgar Marine. I also thought I would fit a rope cutter and once again turn to the forum for advice....

First a rope cutter seems like a good idea.. is this the case?

Having viewed some tests it would seem that the scissor, stripper and spur type (basically anything with rotating blades with a chopping acton) are significantly better than the disk cutter types. But the type with a chopping action require one part to be fixed to the P bracket while the other rotates on the shaft. The Centaur does not have a P bracket and affixing the stationary part to the fibreglass hull could cause the boat to be damaged in the event of something jamming the blades at full power. I am told that boats have been sunk by having the rope cutter stop torn out of the hull.

So has anyone fitted a rope cutter to a centaur and if so what type and was it effective. If you are using a disk type does it work?

Thanks folks!

Hillary
Moonshine, Centaur CR1149

Jolly Roger

Re: Fitting a rope cutter to a Centaur - recommendations please

Post by Jolly Roger » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:04 am

The best rope cutter is made by Ambassador Marine. So have a chat with them.
http://www.ropestripper.com/

I have a disk cutter fitted on my Fulmar as it came with the boat. It is not my choice and I do not know how effective it is.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Vegable

Post by Vegable » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:28 am

I have the Ambassador on my current boat, and before that a (can't remember the name but began with H I think) spurs type which I fitted myself on a Renown - 31' version of the Centaur. I fitted the non rotating bit onto the side of the cutlass bearing by drilling and tapping into the side of the bearing casing. In my case there wasn't enough room to put it anywhere else. I had the boat for around 16 years without any problems and did see one or two (litetally one or two) small notches on the blades so it must have worked without noticing it
On my current boat I sliced through a drifting piece of rope without any hesitation, deviation or repetition and there may well have been other occaisions which I haven't noticed. They are highly recomended.
I have no expetience of the disc type so can't pass any comment.
I can't see why on a boat that has the propshaft coming out of the hull through a cutlass bearing straight to the prop could have the cutter ripped out of the hull. I can see the P bracket being ripped out with the force
Mike
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"

Willhc

Post by Willhc » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:05 pm

Hillary wrote:Hi Folks,

As many readers of this forum will know I am re-engining my Centaur. Since the work requires the removal and replacement of the prop and prop-shaft I thought I might as well do a few other bits too. The rudder will have to come off so I have purchased new rudder bearings from the Excellent Mr Hardy at Trafalgar Marine. I also thought I would fit a rope cutter and once again turn to the forum for advice....

First a rope cutter seems like a good idea.. is this the case?

Having viewed some tests it would seem that the scissor, stripper and spur type (basically anything with rotating blades with a chopping acton) are significantly better than the disk cutter types. But the type with a chopping action require one part to be fixed to the P bracket while the other rotates on the shaft. The Centaur does not have a P bracket and affixing the stationary part to the fibreglass hull could cause the boat to be damaged in the event of something jamming the blades at full power. I am told that boats have been sunk by having the rope cutter stop torn out of the hull.

So has anyone fitted a rope cutter to a centaur and if so what type and was it effective. If you are using a disk type does it work?

Thanks folks!

Hillary
I have a fixed part on my Centaur, though it came with the boat and I don't know the manufacturer. When I am next down for more cold weather bottom scraping, I will try and remember to take a picture to post.

On rudder bushes - I got a set last summer. The guys that fitted them found the stainless shaft (into which they press) was not round and the bushes were more than an interference fit. £20 was thrown at the local machine shop and they were able to take a small amount off the outer diameter. One to factor into your work plan if you have not already got there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hillary

Post by Hillary » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:26 pm

Thanks for the hugely helpful replies - You guys rock!

So I have had a look at the Ambassador - gosh its expensive! Phoned them up and they were very helpful. They have asked for a photo of my Cutlass bearing and can apparently make up custom parts to fit. I am on a tight budget so I might have to leave the extra 40mm length on the propshaft free for now and fit one later as almost £500 is a big chunk of my re-engine budget.

Thanks for the tip about the Rudder Bushes - I have a model makers lathe so I may be able to adjust the bushes myself if required. I also have an SLA 3D printer and I have just made some Traveler car stops which are no longer manufactured by WRO. I used Tough Plastic for the knobs with stainless steel thread and bronze for the slider part which is easer for me to cast than Stainless. I am quite pleased with the result. Lets hope it holds up in a storm.

Thanks again for all the helpful replies and suggestions.

Hillary
Moonshine, Centaur CR1149

philipstevens
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by philipstevens » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:59 am

You might have a look at the Spurs rope-cutter supplied by http://www.haroldhayles.co.uk

It is made in Florida, USA. I had one fitted to my Konsort Duo, and can assure you that it does what it is supposed to do! Confession, as I motored over my own moorings pickup, and it not only chopped the rope, but the pick-up buoy as well.

Harold Hayles are very helpful.

In a working survey by YBW quite a few years back, it came equal first with the Stripper. One of the disc cutters with a serrated edge came second.
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net

UserError
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by UserError » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:39 pm

Hi Hillary,
How did you get on with your rudder bushes? I'd be interested to hear as Mine are fighting me every step of the way. I eventually reduced the OD to get them to fit, to find that the flanges are of a combined thickness that prevents me from getting the retaining bolt through the collar.
Many thanks
Jonathan
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton