Diesel Fuel filter

Mike North
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Diesel Fuel filter

Post by Mike North »

I was going to change my diesel fuel filter - long overdue - and found that the housing has a cable coming out from the base and appears to be plugged into the 12vdc boat supply. Can anyone tell me what this type of housing and cable should do?
mikebuggy

Re: Diesel Fuel filter

Post by mikebuggy »

Which diesel fuel filter are you talking about? Is it the combined coarse filter/separator unit between tank and engine, or is it the screw-on fine filter on the engine? Is the 'cable' just a single wire, or are there 2 cores. Any colours? Can you not trace where exactly the wire goes? Is there any voltage on it? Has the filter base just been used a a convenient earth bonding point, does the wire run to DC earth/negative/black/engine block etc? So, a bit more info needed!
There are some makes of coarse separator filters that have sensors (clarity/content/level/flow etc) but very rare on small boats so possibly unlikely in this case. The wire would also have more than 1 core and would go to an instrument unit.
Mike North

Post by Mike North »

Cheers 'Mikebugy"!
You've set a lot more questions that I havn't the foggiest about. It's in the diesel fuel line between the fuel tank and the engine.
I think I'll have to unplug it and remove it of the bulkhead to investigate.
I attempted to attach a photo of said filter - but the file is too large.
regards
Mike
philipstevens

Post by philipstevens »

Use this free program to re-size your photos - http://webresizer.com
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net
Mike North

Post by Mike North »

IMG_0883_opt.jpg
IMG_0883_opt.jpg (28.73 KiB) Viewed 2198 times
Finally a photo
mikebuggy

Post by mikebuggy »

Alas photo not too clear....a bit too dark to see under the filter. What you are seeing is a pretty standard combined water separator and first/coarse filter. There is a small tap under the alloy bowl at the bottom of the filter. Every couple of months crack this open very slightly and let a little liquid flow into a small container. If there is water in your fuel then as its heavier than fuel it will always come out first. Worth doing this every now and then because its not unusual for there to be tiny amounts from time to time due to nature, humidity, condensation etc. I see that the copper pipes are clipped to ordinary transparent plastic piping....not ideal really as proper fuel hose should be used rather than cheap plastic which can become brittle and leak. (You can get proper black rubber fuel hose almost anywhere cheaply).
I cant see any wires coming off the filter in the photo, and certainly this standard type does not have anything electrical in it. The only wires in the area seem to be from a couple of what looks like 240V AC mains supply boxes (The engine-room seems a strange location for a plug/socket box though!). They are just passing by and are nothing to do with filters or fuel. Any more queries...keep posting!
TyroSailor
Anti Spam measure: No

Post by TyroSailor »

...and the 240V plug & socket seem to be the old-fashioned 2A or 5A style rather than the modern 13A type!
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton