"The long or short"

aquaplane
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: "The long or short"

Post by aquaplane »

TyroSailor wrote:I think a saildrive is less efficient than a shaft drive (about a 10% loss) because of the extra gears, but this might be balanced by the horizontal thrust rather than having it angled slightly downwards. But I thought you were having an outboard anyway?
I understood the "saildrive" prop to be one of the larger finer pitch props fitted to outboards intended for displacement hull use as opposed to the standard prop which is probably better suited to a planing tender zipping along at high speed.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.
TyroSailor
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by TyroSailor »

Ah yes. Put that down to my inabilty to read properly :oops:
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton
LulaBelle

Post by LulaBelle »

Simon,

I've just noticed that you also have a W21? (Mine is a 1978, W21).

What maximum speed do you get with your Tohatsu?

What's the best cruising speed (fuel efficiency etc) with this engine?

Also, with a single cylinder, how do you find the vibration?

Cheers

Paul
simonk
AntiSpam Text: antispam

Post by simonk »

3 very quick answers to your 3 questions: Don't know, Don't know & Don't know. Sorry :roll:

I bought mine earlier in the year, she needed a bit of tidying (nothing major) but I do like my boats to look as good as possible & I enjoy tinkering as well. My original plan was to make her look good(ish),launch in about mid May, have a bit of fun & finish her off over this winter. Since then I've had a family illness which took up my free time going backwards and forwards, hence she's still on the hard standing. So my plan is to do a proper job for the remainder of this year & launch early next year.

Then I can see what the Tohatsu is like compared to an inboard.

I think mine is a '79 boat with a sail number of 52
Regards

Simon
LulaBelle

Post by LulaBelle »

So sorry to hear about your family illness... family always come first over everything else.

I bought Lula Belle in November, don't know the sail number as the main got replaced with a furling system.

I put her back in the water in January and have sailed her silly all around the Clyde ever since!

Although this is my first sailboat, I just love this W21 for simple solo sailing. It's a great balance on affordability and safe fun.

I tried to learn all this sailing jargon/techniques stuff but in the end with the W21... I just strap myself in... let all sails out and go for it. When she leans too much so the steering starts to go, I just roll in a bit of mainsail :)

Just to give you a comparison for when your W21 goes into the water;
I currently have a Honda 8HP four stroke (1995) which will push Lula Belle between 5-6 knots. However, cruising fuel economy around 4 knots works better.

My best speed with just sail is 5.9 which was a few weeks ago at the entrance of Loch Fyne :)

I'm using GPS to get my speeds as the spinning wheel thingy in my hull is broken!

Like you I have a few things to fix... mostly cabin stuff but will do it between sailing days. Next project is the Westerly sag :roll:
TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor »

Six knots is a great speed for a 21-foot boat! What's the waterline length?

Bear in mind also that the GPS is giving you speed over the ground, which may, of course, be more or less than your speed through the water, depending on which way the tide's going. But that's not a major consideration in the Clyde!
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton
LulaBelle

Post by LulaBelle »

TyroSailor wrote:Six knots is a great speed for a 21-foot boat! What's the waterline length?

Bear in mind also that the GPS is giving you speed over the ground, which may, of course, be more or less than your speed through the water, depending on which way the tide's going. But that's not a major consideration in the Clyde!
Yeh, 6 knots is a bit optimistic I guess for a W21! It is supposed to be a slow boat and yeh the GPS SOG can have margins... Also I was going down the Kyles of bute which I think was emptying at the time! ;)

However, I had my son in law with me and both of us being novices... we couldn't stopped grinning passing BIG expensive yachts with their sails flapping :)

I guess that day, all my practice this year paid off... or was is Lula Belle (my boat) feeling sorry for me and decided to show us what she could really do.

Paul
TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor »

It's great when the boat's going well!

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton
LulaBelle

Post by LulaBelle »

Just to finish off this thread...

I ended up buying a brand new long shaft Mercury 9.9 with electric start and remotes. This is for a Westerly W21 sailboat.

The cost was £2020 plus £50 for the cables. I slung it on the original drop down bracket thingy that was used with the old 8HP Honda (1995). The weight of the two felt the same.
With the remote option, I didn't get a tiller handle bit which I thought made the engine look more like part of the boat! The quicksilver controls fitted great and I connected it to the engine with 3 feet of cables.

I used a pair of cheap car booster cables to wire the engine to my single battery which sits under a cabin seat. I also fitted a separate isolator switch.
A huge benefit to this is that even though the electric start uses the main battery, the engine also charges it :) when running.

I've now powered out a few times and can report that this engine is far more quiet than the old Honda 8HP (1995). Also I reach cruise speed in just under half throttle. The prop appears to be a lot better too. I'm no expert but there is less disturbance in the water with the new engine... it looks more like a thin jet of water... if that makes sense!

For my personal single handed sailing choice... I've found the remote a huge benefit for parking the boat in the marina :) no more hanging over the back at a crucial point to put it in reverse... I can now approach and berth looking ahead at all times.

Paul

ps.. the choke is electronic! it's a solenoid that is activated when you push the key in to start the engine :)... amazing!