Oil like cream!

Konsortium
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Juliette

Oil like cream!

Post by Konsortium » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:33 pm

My boat has been laid up for nearly two years. When it was put on the hard all the oil and filters were changed. I've was checking the oil level and it was a bit high so I pumped some out of the sump to get it back between the two marks on the dip stick but the oil that came out was like cream. Also the water coming out the back was dirty rather than its usual clear state. My guess is I drain the oil and put a new filter on and buy some cheap oil to flush out, then drain that and put another new filter on with some proper oil and monitor. Does that seem right?

aquaplane
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: Oil like cream!

Post by aquaplane » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:42 pm

Will the engine turn?

I'd be concerned about where the water has come from. Usually milky oil is a symptom of a faulty head gasket, there is detergent in oil to clean the engine, mainly remove/mobilise carbon, but water in oil makes a foam. This only happens when there is some mixing, water and oil will form two layers if just left alone. So your cream seems to indicate wet oil thrashed about, not a dry engine left with fresh oil in it.

Was it you that laid the boat up 2 years ago?
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

Konsortium

Post by Konsortium » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:16 pm

Hi, yes it was.

I've flushed the engine oil a few times but it doesn't seem to get any better.

The head gasket was only replaced a few years ago,so really shouldn't be that.

I'll speak to Bukh and see if they have any suggestions.

Thank you.

Konsortium

Post by Konsortium » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:44 pm

The engine had a major overhaul about 3 years ago (including a new head gasket) I had a season with an excellent engine, then had the boat lifted and an engineer did the winter prep on the engine with anti freeze, new oil, filter etc.

Before the boat went back into the water i started the engine and it ran like a dream, so i switched it off shortly after. when the boat went back into the water i checked the oil level and it was a bit high, so i pumped oil from the sump to get the dip stick oil back to between the marks. To my horror, what i expected to be lovely new oil was cream!

I was told water in the oil was the cause, so i drained the oil and replaced the oil filter and oil. I ran the engine for about 30 mins then drained that. the second lot of oil was still awful and maybe blacker than the first set. I did the same again and the oil seems blacker each time.

The water exhaust was initially pretty cloudy but it does seem to be clearing, the engine runs smoothly and quietly but the oil doesn't seem to be getting better as i would have liked.

The engine is a Bukh DV24ME, i've just read a WOA thread on water pump seals and water pumps, is that possible should i look at that before pulling the engine apart and looking at head gaskets?

TyroSailor
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by TyroSailor » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:18 pm

Black oil itself is not generally a problem - the bits of metal and carbon that it contains make it so, although the filter and magnetic plug should remove most of the metal at least.

If you keep getting water in the oil and the head gasket's OK, it could well be the water pump seal, or one of the many others. If there's also oil in the water (and hence in the exhaust) it's certainly worth checking. It will be the sea water pump that's leaking, if there's oil in the exhaust.

This (water in the oil) was the final problem (of many) that precipitated the replacement of my elderly MD2b but I don't suppose it's anywhere near that bad with a newish engine, especially with a recent overhaul!
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Nigel Birch

Post by Nigel Birch » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:53 pm

On the Bukh there's a tell tale drain hole which will drip from behind the water pump if the gaskets have failed. However, the drain hole is quite small and can get clogged up with debris so worth checking occasionally....
Nigel
Konsort "Willow" K200 Topsham

Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:39 pm

different engine I know but sounds like a similar issue to me of some years ago.

There are only really 3 ways of water getting into the oil sump:-
1, head gasket.................. you have had a new one so unlikely
2, Water pump seals
3 perforation of cylinder liner ( Like what I had)

Water pump seals are cheap to do.
Headgasket will reveal itself during the tear down to fix item 3 so may avoid further action.

The pin hole in my cylinder liner only became apparant when I filled the water ways with dyed water and saw the leak inside the bore.

Good luck

Uncle Albert MD11C fan...............until it goes wrong
Uncle Albert
CR1702