Damaged Konsort prop shaft

Pogbird
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Damaged Konsort prop shaft

Post by Pogbird »

I have an early Konsort and the propshaft is damaged where it runs In the front shaft bush behind the seal. Can this be repaired or is it a new shaft required? Also I have tried the usual online places but can't seem to find a supplier of Konsort propshafts can anyone help please.
Jolly Roger

Re: Damaged Konsort prop shaft

Post by Jolly Roger »

Welcome to the Forum.

Generally it does mean a new shaft. Any good machine shop should be able to make one to match. The main consideration is to check whether you have a metric or imperial shaft. Sorry I cannot advise someone to help, but if you mention where you are in the country, another member should be able to help.

A useful contact for advice and parts is Trafalgar Yacht Services (http://www.westerly-yachts.co.uk/). They both used to work at Westerly and have many technical records.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/
Pogbird

Post by Pogbird »

Thanks for the reply Jolly Roger, I have mailed Trafalgar, the shaft is 25mm and I am in the frozen North at Peterhead.
mikebuggy

Post by mikebuggy »

In practice, there's no such thing as 'a Konsort prop-shaft' .....or any other boat type prop-shaft. A prop-shaft is just an off the shelf item of the desired diameter, and trimmed to the length you want. When owners change their engines they often have to change the prop-shaft too because the length may be different after the change.
Usually prop-shafts come in a number of standard diameters, such as 1", 25mm, 32mm, etc etc. They also have different tapers and keyways at the propeller end. Nowadays, the shaft end features, and the propeller hole specifications have been standardised (ISO) to make selection easier, so that off the shelf modern props can be bought to fit directly on a new shaft. Older shafts, and props, may have had unusual imperial or custom tapers and keyways and these would need to be measured so that the new shaft can be modified to fit the old propeller. However it is often cheaper to buy a new ISO propeller to fit the new ISO shaft.
The taper at the prop end is critical to measure..it will be something like (but not always) 25mm dia down to 20mm over a distance of 50mm.
If you 'google' you will find plenty of suppliers such as: tnorrismarine.co.uk, clementsengineering.co.uk Sillette.co.uk and Lake Engineering.

As an example Lake Engineering (lakesterngear.co.uk) has METRIC SHAFTS as follows:
Based on 1000mm (1M) overall length fully machined shaft with SINGLE TAPER(£stg EXTRA Per Foot/300mm)
22mm £145 (£27)
25mm £145 (£28)
30mm £200 (£49)

Vovo Penta spares outlets also sell over the counter propshaft by the length as standard spares items. These fit any engine, not just VP.
Shafts are also available in other metals such as Duplex or bronze. Duplex is extremely tough and can often be used in place of the next diameter up.