Volvo 2003 in a Corsair

bobevans
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Opposite

Volvo 2003 in a Corsair

Post by bobevans »

I am replacing the Volvo 2003 in my Corsair with a Beta 38. I need to know whether this engine has a Down Angle gearbox or a Drop Centre Gearbox, but the boat is in Greece. Any Corsair owners out there with a 2003 who can advise me?

Thanks,

Bob
mikebuggy

Re: Volvo 2003 in a Corsair

Post by mikebuggy »

Engines themselves of course don't have any down-angle. You must specify/agree with the provider which gearbox and down-angle you want them to fit to the engine. There are several choices available with Beta, including one which gives more or less the same down angle as you will have with the VP2003. I used a Beta 38 fitted with a down angle Kanzaki gearbox in place of my VP2003.
I strongly advise you to upgrade your propshaft as the standard 25mm shaft is just not really man enough for the HP increase. It can work but it can be very 'whippy' leading to increased P-bracket Cutless bearing wear. You could go for a 30mm shaft as some have done, but this can add a little cost and complication. Most P-brackets will take a thinner walled 30mm ID Cutless bearing tube in the same hole as the original 25mm bearing, but some work is involved. A cheaper option and one that has worked well for me and others is to go for a 25mm Duplex Steel shaft. Duplex is twice as strong as stainless and is not very expensive. The advantage is that you can continue to use the same bearing. Ive now done 1000hrs on mine with no problem. 25mm Duplex shafts with the correct prop tapers are standard off the shelf Volvo Penta items. You will need to cut a short amount off the end of the nearest available standard size (ie next size up from your Corsair's shaft length).
I also fitted a 3 blade Featherstream propellor to my boat and this has had great results although it took 3 goes to get the pitch angle just right. The Beta 38 has been great and has done 2 trans-Atlantics and lots more. Much more power, and much quieter than the VP2003.
If you need any more advice give me a call on 07867805595
Mike B
bobevans
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Opposite

Re: Volvo 2003 in a Corsair

Post by bobevans »

Many thanks Mike - really helpful.