Hot Water on a Storm

Pauk Smith
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Hot Water on a Storm

Post by Pauk Smith » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:12 pm

I am new to Westerly ownership, having just launched our new Storm that is now floating at a jaunty angle on her mooring on the Medway.
One thing that the boat lacks is hot water which is something the lady of the house seems to think is important. Has anyone out there fitted a calorifier to a Volvo 2002 in a Storm? When the boat was out of the water I thought the obvious place for the calorifier etc was in the cockpit locker but with the boats list to starboard that would just make it worse. I am guessing it needs to go under the berth in the aft cabin. I cannot be the first person to do this so any advice on the possible pitfalls would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Jolly Roger

Re: Hot Water on a Storm

Post by Jolly Roger » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:34 pm

Pauk Smith

Welcome to the Westerly Forum.

I am guessing from your other post you are the owner of The Thunderer, in Chatham Marina. My Fulmar is in berth B4, but currently I am on holiday until early October.

On a Fulmar it is common for a hot water tank to be situated under the quarter berth, so that should help correct your list. A.S.A.P. is a good place to contact as they will advise exactly what you need and supply it to you. http://www.asap-supplies.com/marine/dom ... -equipment There is also a helpful technical leaflet http://www.asap-supplies.com/file_uploa ... oilets.pdf

Please do not ask any detailed questions as I do not have hot water installed.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

petrel

Post by petrel » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:35 pm

Yep, I've got a Storm with the calorifier under the bunk of the aft cabin. Can't think of any pitfalls. You need to lead a outflow pipe from the pressure relief valve back to the engine bilge for drainage. I assume you have a water pump already fitted.

I'm with your wife on this one. Washing, or washing-up in cold water is horrible!

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:57 pm

I, too, hope to fit a calorifier to my Centaur eventually. In the meantime I find a kettle and a large vacuum flask serve. Better than camping - but only just, so far :wink:
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

MikeCoughlin

Post by MikeCoughlin » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:29 am

Hi,
Our Storm has the calorifier fitted in the cockpit locker along with the water pump. However, the batteries were moved and fitted under the aft cabin bunk, so we trim quite nicely, though stern heavy. (I'll have to do something about that.)
I'm just working up to fitting mains electricity, including an immersion heater in the calorifier, which should be a great convenience.