MD2B turns over but won't start - fuel?

TyroSailor
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:Westerly
MD2B turns over but won't start - fuel?

Post by TyroSailor » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:55 pm

The story so far...
I bought my Centaur, which had been sitting in the boatpark for 18 months, and happily motorsailed round from Langstone to Southampton, running the newly serviced engine for five hours. I then ran it every day or two for a bit to charge the batteries. On one occasion we were off the Hamble and it wouldn't start.....After having the starter motor repaired (by my garage for £48 rather than by a marine engineer for £200) I refitted it and all was well (apart from a water leak - see separate thread).
But last week, while running the engine preparatory to going out it just stopped. It would then turn over happily on the starter but wouldn't go. On one occasion since then it started but kept on slowing till I fiddled with the throttle and eventually died altogether. Now it turns over happily but won't run.
The fuel filters are new, there was no water in the primary filter and no air came out when I tried to bleed it. The secondary filter has released air/bubbles but then sprayed clean fuel on me when I pumped.

Air leaking into a pipe?
Fuel pump broken?
Old fuel misbehaving?

In an attempt to eliminate the third (and probably cheapest) alternative I've pumped/drained all the fuel out and cleaned the separator, preparatory to refilling with new fuel. Any other ideas?
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

aquaplane
AntiSpam Text:westerly

Re: MD2B turns over but won't start - fuel?

Post by aquaplane » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:34 am

Is the engine stop fully disengaged?
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:44 am

Heh heh.... good question, but yes it is. And, with my head in there as someone else operated it I was even able to see what it does. If only....
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:12 pm

It could be a blocked injector. That would certainly stop an engine running.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:48 pm

There's a thought. It would have to be both of them though, as it should run on just one cylinder - shouldn't it? So more likely to be the fuel pump, injector pump or something like that??

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:14 pm

This link to a Haynes manual should help.
http://www.halfords.com/wcsstore/Halfor ... inding.pdf
Look at page 2 at Engine rotates, but does not start.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:38 pm

Thanks - looks useful. That tells me it's a fuel/injector pump fault (as I thought) or :? a broken timing chain :!: Unless, of course, you know different...

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

philipstevens
Anti Spam measure:Yes

Post by philipstevens » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:42 pm

Quite possibly the fuel lift pump - the engine operated pump with the level. It happened to friends of ours in the River Rance. We towed them to the nearby marina, where a new pump diaphragm was fitted.

Although the pump would "pump", there was no pressure, that confused us. The amount of pressure when the new diaphragm was fitted was totally different.

You may be able to get a new diaphragm, or you may have to fit a new pump, if the diaphragm is no longer available. Keypart's was where I got our spares from.
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:58 pm

Hmmmm.... I was pumping that to try and get the air out of the secondary filter - nothing seemed to happen for a bit and then I got a jet of diesel in the face, which was one of life's less pleasant experiences....

I think I'll line up the local mechanic but as soon as I get back to the boat I'll rinse the gunk out of the fuel tank and put a couple of gallons of new fuel in, bleed it through and try again. In the meantime I'll see if I can find out how the lift pump works. I need him to tell me about the state of the rust as well :(

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

rhumlady
AntiSpam Text:westerly

Post by rhumlady » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:05 pm

I wouldn't be too quick to dump the old fuel. If the filters have been changed and are clean then diesel goes on for ever or a long time anyway.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:20 pm

Well - that's what I thought, but a number of people told me that it might be that. The boat had been sitting in the yard for 18 months when I bought it, so it must be at least two years old.

I've pumped/drained it out already anyway: there was only a couple of gallons and I have most of that in big bottles - I might add it back later on when (if?!) I get it going. No sign of any bacterial growth in there, no water and not a great deal of dirt.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

smudger
AntiSpam Text:antispam

Post by smudger » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:43 pm

Hi,you could try cracking the injector nuts and bleeding them,if there is an air lock in the injector pipes that would stop her !

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:17 pm

Thanks - yes I'll try that too. So it looks like my drill when I get back to the boat is:
  • rinse out the tank with new fuel
    put a gallon or two of new fuel in
    turn the engine over by hand/starter motor (decompressors open) to fill the primary filter and separator bowl
    bleed the air out of the primary filter
    operate the lift pump to bleed the air out of the secondary filter
    bleed the injector pump and pipes to the injectors
    close the decompressors and start her up
Does this sound like a plan?

If that doesn't work, I need to take the lift pump to bits??

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

SeaDog
Anti Spam measure:Yes

Post by SeaDog » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:08 pm

IF you crack the injectors and turn her over and get no fuel then you will know its fuel pump. But from what you are saying i would suggest that its the fuel pump in trouble.

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:34 pm

Right - I'll try that then. Thanks.
Going down this week for a bit. Engineer coming next Thurs to have a look - and to tell me about the rust.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton