MD2B - leaking pipe causing severe rust

TyroSailor
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:Westerly
MD2B - leaking pipe causing severe rust

Post by TyroSailor » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:35 pm

Evenin' all

My recently acquired Centaur has a severe cooling (sea)water leak from a pipe just below the exhaust manifold high up on the starboard side. The hot salt water dripping out has clearly caused severe rust over the years, which I've started to clean off: amongst the chunks coming off are a couple of big 'uns a centimeter or more thick. I assume this is bad news: the question is, how bad?

There's also a problem with the fuel supply, but that needs a separate thread....
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

boatsrus
Anti Spam measure:Yes

Re: MD2B - leaking pipe causing severe rust

Post by boatsrus » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:33 am

Chunks from where? I had signs of water leaks but when I investigated the cause was more serious - my MD2B had all the waterways completely blocked causing NO water flow around the water jacket. Once the waterways are blocked completely you can't descale them without taking the heads off.

TyroSailor
Anti Spam measure:No

Re: MD2B - leaking pipe causing severe rust

Post by TyroSailor » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:36 am

The biggest bits came from the starboard side of the engine, behind the starter motor and below the exhaust manifold (and the pipe that was causing the problem). As I said, there was one about 10mm thick and maybe 40 x 30 (although not rectangular) and a couple of other smaller ones. And loads I can't get to.
Q is, how much has it weakened the wall of the engine? And how much does it matter?

The engine runs (well, sort of, but that's another thread!) and there doesn't seem to be any rust in the exhaust water, which flows reasonably freely.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton