Raw Water Strainer

wotan4
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:westerly
Raw Water Strainer

Post by wotan4 » Fri May 08, 2015 5:40 pm

I am a very new member, just a week!
I have a Westerly Renown with a Volvo Penta MD2B which has been fully serviced and runs well.
The old water strainer is plastic and looks a bit knackered as does the pipework which is a mixture of all sorts. I have bought some proper water pipe from Keypart and now is the time to fit the new strainer and pipe.
My question is: I think the existing strainer is too high and hence does not prime properly when disconnected. Some have told me that the strainer has to be at the outside water level but is this right?
The existing strainer is about 2 feet above the water line and this may be the problem.
Any advice or guidance would be very, very helpfull as I just want to get it right.
Mike (Wotan)

Vegable
AntiSpam Text:Westerly

Re: Raw Water Strainer

Post by Vegable » Sat May 09, 2015 1:16 am

Hi Mike, and welcome.
If your Renown has a dark blue hull and is called Wotan I very nearly bought her from Dickies in Bangor in 1991. She was immaculate then and really loved. In the end I couldn't raise the money....about 23k then and bought another one a lot cheaper which was very severely neglected. Anyway enough about me, to answer your question.....
No it doesn't matter. My old Renown initially had a brass filter unit mounted on the raw water seacock with a plastic removable/replacable filter element inside it. I then changed it for a large plastic Vetus one which I mounted up above the engine. I never had any problems with either of them and had the boat from 1992 till 2008 and had the Vetus one from 1999.
If I can give you some advice I was given by Jim Hogan of Caley Marina at Inverness.....he rented out all the hire motor boats on Loch Ness and the Caledonian Canal....don't bu@@er about with diesel engines. Give them an annual fuel and oil filters change and an oil change and leave them alone. The pipework will be a mixture of pipes and types and the plastic filter will look mucky and tired but that's only to be expected in a 40 year old boat. Unless things are dripping I suggest leaving things well alone.
Enjoy your boat.
Mike
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"

wotan4

Post by wotan4 » Sat May 09, 2015 8:43 am

Thanks so much for your reply and your welcome.
Wotan was in Scotland for a time but not sure when. She does have a dark blue hull and white topsides and I bought her from the previous owner at Kemps Marina in Southampton. He bought her from a marina at Whitehaven and I believe she cruised the Irish Sea etc.
She was in a bit of a state when I bought her but she is shaping up well now and I am getting her into good servicable use for cruising the Solent. I have serviced the engine and replaced the impeller, thermostat, belt filter and oil change.
Thanks for your advice about the engine. I think you are right as the engine goes a treat. It is just that the pipework just looks untidy although water goes through the complete system and no over heating is experienced even after say running the engine for 4 hours.
Perhaps I am just a fuss pot!!!
Keep in touch as I am sure I will loads more questions as I progress with Wotan,
Mike

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Sat May 09, 2015 3:57 pm

I would replace the pipework as you plan . You mention a mixture of various types etc and as its of uncertain age it can get brittle . Personally I prefer the strainer above the waterline of its one of the plastic Vetus types with the mesh insert, as you can safely open it without closing the sea cock. Only thing as you mention, is it needs priming if you lift out the boat with the seacock open, but that's no big deal.
Tempest Isabella TT6

Vegable

Post by Vegable » Sat May 09, 2015 4:35 pm

Hi Mike,
One of the problems of writing late at night is you tend to forget things. I've just been looking at the workshop manual for my engine, a modern Volvo and under the cooling water bit it shows the Vetus water filter - the screw on top type with plastic filter inside it which is easily removed and the inlet and outlet pipes come in at the bottom of the unit - and it says in large letters that it must be sited 100 mm above the static waterline to no more than 200mm above it. The information that you were given by someone to mount it at the waterline is very wrong.
Good luck with the improvements and if you need it you'll find a lot of useful help here. Don't forget to look at the Westerly Wiki site especially on the Renown. There's a lot of useful stuff on there, mostly written by me I should add and there's some stuff on the MD2B engine too
Mike
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"

wotan4

Post by wotan4 » Sat May 09, 2015 10:36 pm

I really must thank all you guys for your help and suggestions.
The new strainer is in fact a Vetus plastic type with underside pipework connections so all your comments are very relevant.
I think in summary, I will mount the strainer about 6 inches above the water line but not more than 12 inches. (Sorry about using imperial dimensions- it's an age thing).
I also intend to replace all the pipework as one section looks as if it came off a washing machine outlet!!!
Thanks again for taking the time to help, it is very much appreciated.
Just one final thing. Can you tell me the steps to prime the strainer after fixing the new one??
Sorry to be a nuisance.
Mike

Vegable

Post by Vegable » Sun May 10, 2015 12:56 am

Hi Mike,
As long as the lid is on tight and is sealed it shouldn't need priming, but try filling it with water - any old water will do. You'll find that it'll only fill the engine side as the other side will run out through the seacock.
(Another late night answer but I think I'm fairly safe with this one!)
Mike

wotan4

Post by wotan4 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:21 am

Hi Mike,
I did the raw water strainer job yesterday with my son and it went a treat. We removed the old cracked strainer and the leaking pipework bodged up with silicon and all the old rusted jubilee clips. We cleaned all the spigot end of the valve, the sea cock is one of the new Marelon ones and fitted all the new pipework and strainer.
We located the strainer fixed to a bulkhead about 6 inches above the waterline and, as you advised, we did not need to prime the system.
We started the engine and when the thermostat opened, we had brilliant amount of cooling water, more than I have seen before and the engine was running a treat and no leaks anywhere!!!

Mike, thank you so much for your advice - it all went great.

Mike (wotan)