What was the original Tempest Propellor

verity82
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Opposite

What was the original Tempest Propellor

Post by verity82 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:15 pm

Hi
I became the owner of a Tempest 2yrs ago and would like to change the existing 18" two blade propeller for a folding one. The existing one has been changed at some time so I don't know if it is what was specified by Westerly originally. The engine is the original Volvo 2002. Any light thrown on the subject would be much appreciated.
Regards
Peter

Eeyore
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: What was the original Tempest Propellor

Post by Eeyore » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:33 pm

Welcome to another Tempest owner on the forum .Are you sure that there is no size stamped on the boss underneath the paint?. Most unusual if there isn't. Anyway, whoever supplies the new prop will work out an optimum size based on the engine power, revs and boat displacement.
Tempest Isabella TT6

Jolly Roger
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by Jolly Roger » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:00 pm

Peter

Do ask several propellor suppliers to calculate what is the best size for your engine for your Tempest. This service is provided free and far better than asking what was originally fitted.

Last winter I fitted a Gori folding propeller from Sillette to my Fulmar and have been very pleased with it. I have had no problems with it either not opening or closing, it has given good speed under power and allows for a reasonable cruising speed of 5 to 5½ knots at just over 2000 rpm, plus the speed under sail has improved in all conditions.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

verity82
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Opposite

Post by verity82 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:50 am

New to the site so hope this works.
Thanks for the replies Eeyore and Jolly Roger. I have already been in touch with various suppliers and the one I fancy has been worked out using the specs you mention. But before I part with what I think is rather a large sum I thought I would just check. Once again thanks for the replies.

gibfitzg
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by gibfitzg » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:14 pm

I replaced the original Volvo 2002 on our 1988 Tempest 3 years ago, with a Beta 25 and 3-bladed prop.
The original two-bladed prop is marked 18x13. The diameter is 18", so I guess the pitch will be 13.
I still have the old prop if you decide to revert to the original!