Re-engine for Griffon in Hampshire?

europaflyer
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Airbusaz

Re-engine for Griffon in Hampshire?

Post by europaflyer » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:22 pm

I'm currently thinking of a few options for putting a replacement donk in my Griffon as she's shortly to be lifted for a couple of months. I can see the current VP MD7 causing me headaches and I would like a few more horses to play with as well as the peace of mind that comes with a new or rebuilt engine.

The Griffon was originally offered with either the MD7 or the bukh 20, so option 1 is to get hold of a rebuilt/second hand bukh DV20 or DV24 and have it installed. Pro's much cheaper, good solid engine, might be able to px my MD7 for something, cons second hand so how reliable is it really likely to be, also quite heavy I believe. Option 2 get hold of a new engine and box from Beta/nanni/craftsman and find someone willing to install it for a reasonable cost with my help.

Option 3 of arranging main dealer fit of shiny new yanmar/beta/volvo already ruled out on account of the north of £7.5k I have been quoted when the VAT, kitchen sink and just about everything else under the Solent sky has been added in. Option 4 of a rebuild of MD7 not very appealing on account of future spares availability, and the fact it's an obsolete engine.

I'd be grateful of any thoughts - especially with regard to recommendations of reliable and reasonably priced marine engineers who'd be able to help with option 1 or 2. Asking around on the Hamble I seem to have only got recommendations of who not to use for installation or servicing/repairs!

Many thanks in advance!

smudger
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: antispam

Re: Re-engine for Griffon in Hampshire?

Post by smudger » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:13 pm

Hi,have a look at" boats and outboards"some good deals on bukh rebuilds,low hours.

Jolly Roger
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:03 pm

Personally I would bite the bullet and install a new engine. If you recondition your existing engine, that could easily cost £1500 to £3000, depending on what is done but you still will have an obsolete engine. If you fit a secondhand engine that is more than a few years old, you could have unexpected costly bills as Bukh parts are very expensive.

I feel sure you should be able to find a local mobile fitter in the Solent area who could assist you in fitting a new engine. That is the route I would take. My choice of new engine would be a Beta as they are good value and spare parts are prolific, plus they are very helpful company to deal with.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

smudger
AntiSpam Text: antispam

Post by smudger » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:38 pm

image008_opt(1).jpg
image008_opt(1).jpg (51.94 KiB) Viewed 2438 times
Exactly what i did,great engine and now with a 5 year self service warranty!

budgester

Post by budgester » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:27 pm

What's causing you headaches with the MD7 ?

I agree a few more horses would be nice, but I'm getting more and more confident with ours, now I know how to service it. Someone once said to me if it starts easily, then there is pretty much nothing wrong with engine. The MD7's are pretty bombproof.

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:26 pm

I'd fit a new Beta if it was me, they will build the engine with mounts to suit your current beds if at all possible, if you supply the dimensions. Fit it yourself with some help, professional or amateur.
Tempest Isabella TT6

RickBrennan1947

Post by RickBrennan1947 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:36 pm

I re-engined my Ocean 33 a couple of years ago moving from a Volvo 2030 to a D1-30. I got 25% off the package at the time and it was pretty much a straight out/straight in exercise. I am not sure this would be the case with your MD7 and I suppose it would be a D1-20. However, depending on your choice of manufacturer, you may need to renew the prop and other equipment may well be on the wrong side requiring extensive modification, so make sure you look at the total cost and not just the headline cost of the engine before making a decision. There's usually some good deals on offer at the Boat Show so I would definitely give it a glancing blow next month.