Riviera re engine

paulprd
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Riviera re engine

Post by paulprd »

Hi.

Does anyone have any thoughts experiences on re-engine of a Riviera. Specifically as the hatch is a bit small what engines have been fitted. At the existing engine has a turbo it is a quite compact engine for its output.

Thanks in anticipation.

Paul
mikebuggy

Re: Riviera re engine

Post by mikebuggy »

No sure which engine you have. If its the VP 2003 then all the current modern standards like the Beta will fit through quite small holes. Modern diesels tend to be more compact than their predecessors. I replaced a VP2003 with a Beta 38 and it was almost a direct swop onto the same footprint. Even the slightly more powerful Betas have a similar compact footprint. You will find that most of the modern replacement engine suppliers, such as Nanni and Beta, use compact industrial diesel units from manufactureres like Kobota and Mitsubishi. There's not many purpose designed heavy duty marine leisure diesels these days (Yanmar is an example) and most, including Perkins, and even later VPs are now beased on general purpose industrial engine blocks, which are lighter and smaller, and yet produce more power with less pollution.
You will now be able to find a naturally aspirated (ie non turbo) engine of equal power to the turbo charged 2003. With basic ancilliaries removed (like the alternator) these will fit through very small hatches and will give a quieter more economical solution.
paulprd
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: Riviera re engine

Post by paulprd »

Hi mike

Thanks very much for the detailed reply! Mine is the 2003t. Same as 2003 but with the turbo. My hatch is really wee 500mm. Having measured up some of the current engines they are all a little wide. The old 2003 is 490 and they just about got it in. Naturally they must have calculated this :D.

Will have a chat with a few producers see what can be removed in terms of ancillaries to slim them down a little. Was favouring a perkins. Many vp engines are a perkins base. Then doubled up in price for a sticker :D

Thanks again !

Cheers

Paul