Storm engine stop cable

blackvelevet
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Storm engine stop cable

Post by blackvelevet » Mon May 12, 2014 1:01 pm

My stop cable came adrift at the engine end (Penta 2002) and it got pulled out about 8 inches at the cockpit end. Tried to push the inside wire back in bit by bit with pliars, it all went back in, but not enough length came out at the engine end to reanchor it and I couldn't pull any more through.
Engineer says new cable needed. 2 lengths available, from Volspec, 3.4m and 6m. My boat is 150 miles away, I am guessing 3.4m is the one I need for a Westerly Storm, anyone know this for sure so I can order to fit for next trip?
Thanks,
David

BarryandLinda

Re: Storm engine stop cable

Post by BarryandLinda » Sat May 24, 2014 11:32 am

I'm assuming you're talking about the inner wire core here.Mine broke at the engine end also midway through last season and I reconnected it using a stripped down 'chocolate box' connector. It worked OK, but pulled apart a couple of times. We've just replaced ours ( Corsair ) and it was the shorter (3.4m) one we used. As it was only the inner core I confess to not stripping the whole thing out, but just replaced the inner core. It's working fine, and saved us a lot of hassle.

smudger
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: antispam

Re: Storm engine stop cable

Post by smudger » Sun May 25, 2014 8:58 am

Hi,if you go for the longer could you not coil(in large coils) any spare,but if the shorter cable was to short then your up the creek without a paddle :oops: