Storm (worry)

David Jarrett
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Storm (worry)

Post by David Jarrett » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:01 am

Hi, my wife and I have just bought The Thunderer' a 1991 Storm.

She is moored at MDL Chatham Maritime.

She has a Volvo Penta 2002 with (I believe) freshwater cooling. The engine has done 925 hrs. The engine sounds fine but I have not run it long enough to see if there are any overheating issues.

When I start her there is a significant amount of raw water pumping out of a small skin fitting on the starboard side (located just below the deck fuel filler). Some water also appears to be coming out of the exhaust.

Tracing this small bore transparent pipe back through the cockpit locker to the engine it is connected to a T piece (relief valve?) which is on a run of rubber pipework above the engine.

I have shut the engine down for fear of damage but have had opinions that:

1 This is perfectly normal and just confirms that the raw water is flowing
2 That there is a blockage etc

I have also had a cast iron exhaust pipe elbow replaced but don't know if this is relevant.

A friend who has a typhoon says he doesn't have this feature.

Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks

David

bert
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: Storm (worry)

Post by bert » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:15 am

Sounds quite normal, water should always be present in the exhaust the raw water cooling is fed through the exhaust and is a way of silencing it,
Someone has fitted a tell-tale so you can see if the cooling water is flowing as some times it's difficult to see the water coming out the exhaust
Bert Gear
Fulmar Rubicon
Ilfracombe

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:46 am

David

Congratulations on buying this Storm, I had my eye on it and it had been top of my list. No doubt we shall meet in the future as I shall also be using Chatham Marina (my brother already berths there with a Contest 35). My top choice now is a Fulmar and will shortly start the buying process.

The engine condition you mention is quite normal and nothing to worry about.

Roger
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:46 pm

It's not just a "tell-tale", it's also a vent. If you stop the engine, air will go back through the tine hose and breaks a possible syphon loop of the seawater hose to the exhaust elbow.
And don't worry about the relatively small amount of water coming out of the tell-tale. 'Thou shalt worry if nothing comes out there!
Wolfgang - s/v Adventure Galley, OR2

David Jarrett

Post by David Jarrett » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:53 pm

Thanks for your replies, that has reassured us.

She is a lovely yacht with an interesting history and very well equipped. We have done quite a bit to her but there is still a long list to do (the teak decking beckons....)

Thanks again

David

rhumlady

Post by rhumlady » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:34 pm

David,

Welcome to the group. Hope you have many years of fun with the new boat. One thing to note with the vp2002 is a problem with the spline drive from the engine to the gearbox. The splines tend to wear and in a worst case you can loose drive from the engine through the gearbox. There are mod available and this may have been done already but if your paperwork doesn't mention it then it would be best to get it checked out. If you are a WOA member there is more info on the owners only section of the site if not then its worth the £15 (?) To join. There will be info in other sites on the web as it is a common problem not just to Westerly's.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213

petrel

Post by petrel » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:01 pm

Would be grateful for any other views on the spline problem. I belong to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school. My 2002 still seems fine after 4200 hours.
Q. are there any warning signs (without dismantling the gearbox)?
Q. what proportion of us are still happily chugging around on unmodified splines? (tough question I know, but if I'm in a tiny minority I'd be more motivated to get it looked at...)

rhumlady

Post by rhumlady » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:43 pm

petrel wrote:Would be grateful for any other views on the spline problem. I belong to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school. My 2002 still seems fine after 4200 hours.
Q. are there any warning signs (without dismantling the gearbox)?
Q. what proportion of us are still happily chugging around on unmodified splines? (tough question I know, but if I'm in a tiny minority I'd be more motivated to get it looked at...)
I only repeat what I have read as I have a Bukh DV20. Philip Stevens, the moderator here, has first hand experience I believe. I don't think there are any warning signs in normal use except for the failure to drive the prop which is pretty severe as far as I am concerned. The gearbox doesn't need stripped down to check it out but it does need to be split from the engine so you can view the splines and see any dust that may be around. There are two fixes, one from Volvo for engines with little or no wear and an aftermarket solution for any state of wear I believe. The Volvo mod seems to have been incorporated in later engines but I don't know the details of serial numbers.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:51 am

A quick google of volvo 2002 spline turned up plenty of articles of the problem.

To identify if your engine is affected have a look at http://www.dbmarine.co.uk/ms2.php. It affects all Volvo MS2 gearboxes fitted to 2000 series engines, prior to engine number 2300059128. They also give instructions on how to check for wear on affected splines.

Roger
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

philipstevens

Post by philipstevens » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:37 pm

There is a full article, including photos, in the Members Only area on the main WOA website.
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net

petrel

Post by petrel » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:36 pm

OK thanks, will take a look

mikebuggy

Post by mikebuggy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:37 pm

I would be very worried if no water was coming out, especially at the exhaust! All sounds exactly as it should! As stated previously the trickle out the side is the anti-syphon valve bleed off.....although it does act as a very good tell-tale. It is important this antisyphon loop and tee are fitted and in good condition....your engine is largely below or close to the waterline and there needs to be a vacuum break in the cooling system to stop suck back and down flood when the engine is stopped. You need a good burble coming out of the exhaust!. 900 odd hours isnt too bad.....I've already got that on my Beta engine I fitted just over 2 and a half years ago!.
I had a Storm for many years, great boats and you can get them moving very fast, although can be heavy on the helm until you get the knack of sail balance just right. If its the OD (tall mast version) they work best with a tall narrowish blade genoa rather than a full cruising genoa as you can then carry more sail in a blow and get better speed.

JayT
Site Admin
AntiSpam Text: Opposite Easterly

Post by JayT » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:05 am

I've heard this secondary water exit referred to as the "piddle pipe" :lol:
Regards
Tim
Webmaster & Admin Office