Engine Bay conundrum

rogerball0
Anti Spam measure:Yes
AntiSpam Text:westerly
Engine Bay conundrum

Post by rogerball0 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:22 am

Just thinking about what needs to be fitted before the engine goes in and i'm wondering what can be done afterwards as i dont have the finances to buy everything now, i have stern tube / prop shaft, fuel tank & engine as a priority but think i can fit fuel & water filters, siphon, exhaust system and wire it up afterwards.

Any thoughts based on peoples experiences?

rog

steve parry
AntiSpam Text:Pentland

Re: Engine Bay conundrum

Post by steve parry » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:05 pm

Hi Roger,

Going well!! The only suggestion I have is: When you put all your filters in (water/Fuel etc) put them on the bulkhead towards the front of the engine compartment, this will allow you to change filters etc with ease. Most filters were placed in positions that were awkward to get at and made life hell (especially when trying to change something in a choppy sea etc!!) I moved ALL of mine to the front, so when I take my steps away, I have all the filters visable and a doddle to change when needed, I also changed at the same time my impeller housing plate and replaced it with a 'speed seal' plate with the four big knobs (magic piece of kit!). So now I have all filters in full view and easy to replace when needed.

Regards

Steve

rogerball0

Post by rogerball0 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:10 pm

cheers steve, some great ideas - this is what i want - peoples experiences based on what they have found works in the real world.

rog

Uncle Albert
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:Westerly

Post by Uncle Albert » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi Roger, Hip HIp Hoorah for the speedy seal.
My first fuel filter is about 2 ft back from the cabin engine bulkhead on the port side and is a bit of pain to get to so if starting from scratch then it could be better placed.

Water inlet cock and strainer is under the port coffin berth accessed via the first of the floor lids looking aft. Easy to get to (unless someone is sleeping in the berth) but I only need to get to it when starting or finishing a passage so not an issue.

Cant think of anything else which is a pain to access on my boat.

Steve (Alias Unc)
Uncle Albert
CR1702

rogerball0

Post by rogerball0 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:11 pm

Just checked out the speed seal website and looks like a handy bit of kit.

cheers rog