Cost of a new engine?

lampshuk
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Cost of a new engine?

Post by lampshuk » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:51 pm

Anyone got some rough ideas on the price to replace the engine in, say, a Berwick? Just looking for budgetary figures for use when costing various 2nd hand boats with engines in different stages of decrepitude.
Many thanks,
Martin.

rogerball0
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: Cost of a new engine?

Post by rogerball0 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:27 am

Heres what i've spent:

Sole Diesel Mini 29 £3350
New shaft / seal / bearing £ 600
Propeller £ 200
Adapting engine bay £ 150
Engineer £ 200

Total of £4500 and thats doing pretty much everything myself apart from having the marine engineer hold my hand while i fit the engine and also another pair of hands to muscle the lump in. I bought my engine over five years ago so thats probably more like £4000 now, although many speak highly of the betamarine 20hp unit which is around the same money, to that if you are just swapping out the engine you can do away with shaft, prop and adaptions so more like cost of the engine and an engineer for a day. I would guess £4 - 5000 the worst way.

cheers roger

Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:56 pm

Hi Roger I costed up a replacement for My Centaur and after double checking it came out at near to £7k a year ago. The list is as above with addition of Exhaust redesign and wiring and controls etc

Looked and Sole, Beta, Volvo Nanni, Marinised Ford Diesel ( Lansing marine I think) and Yanma.

Hence my action of spending less than £1k restoring the original MD11C. Any down sides to my action........................ well just waiting for teh next bit to give up the ghost!!!!

I do talk to my engine though and praise her when she gets me home safely................................. yep barmy I know but its Engine Karma.

Unc
Uncle Albert
CR1702

rogerball0

Post by rogerball0 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:18 pm

Hi Albert,

I guess at the time (Jan 2008) i had the money and seeing what a mess i had on my hands it was a no brainer to bin it and start again, i remember spitting my cider out when over on the yahoo groups figures of £10K + were being bandied around as a cost to replace a Centaurs lump, truly baffling. Still if you will go with Volvo you'll spend those kinda sums, for me when looking for a replacement i specifically wanted a car / plant derived lump as i much prefer walking into a local motor factors for the spares and maintainance items rather than a yachtie/marine type affair where i know they're gonna have my trousers down.

At the time i went arm twisting (as i do when it comes to buying big ticket items), Beta told me to jog on and the rest stared down their noses at me where as HMI now Engines Plus were quite happy to have a deal with me and talk about various options and accessories, thoruoughly recommend them to anyone wanting to re-engine their boat.

I remember when phoning south coast marine (volvo dealer) to get a quote for a new engine they quoted £5K for the engine then £1500 for the gearbox separately then a prop - £500 ......Instrument panel £300, it just went on and on, what you'd take for granted on any other engine wasn't on a volvo - absolute joke.

In all honesty if it aint broke why fix it, its just that mine was leaking oil and fuel and had terrible compression, once i got prices for replacement items that i could find it just didn't seem worth it for me but my lump hadn't been touched for a good few years before i took over which probably didn't help its cause.

Anyway speaking of engines i have got my bearers in and spent today cutting and machining the steel angle on which the engine will perch, got them to the powder coaters this afternoon to pick up tomorrow morning so i can get on finishing the bay ready for installation next week.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1101828864 ... directlink

cheers rog
Last edited by rogerball0 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poachers lady

Post by poachers lady » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:30 am

As posted previously. For a Beta 20 in my Centaur, a little under £7k. And that was without me touching a single thing, apart from painting the engine bay when empty. Job done with no hassle by Mike Wills Marine in Poole.

What price safety, security, and piece of mind?
Regards

Mike

Poachers Lady
Centaur

rogerball0

Post by rogerball0 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:46 pm

Great if you've got a spare £7000 i guess.

lampshuk

Post by lampshuk » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:30 pm

Thanks, all. FWIW I was given a rough estimate of £4500 for a 25hp Beta, plus about 45 hours fitting time - assuming £50 per hour that means about £7K (inc VAT but exc gearbos or other "extras". About £1500 more for 35HP. So, roughly in line with your experiences.

From my PoV it means that engine condition is a _very_ important criterion when looking at boats!

Cheers,

Martin.
(not yet a boat owner, but teetering on the brink)

aquaplane

Post by aquaplane » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:31 am

lampshuk wrote:From my PoV it means that engine condition is a _very_ important criterion when looking at boats!
To the point where my £6000 Centaur would still be worth maybe £8000 with a £7000 new engine in her. If someone was daft enough to pay £6000 for her that is but I suspect someone would looking at some of the asking prices at the moment.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.