Which engine? - if any!

Cornwall1981
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:Westerly
Which engine? - if any!

Post by Cornwall1981 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:11 pm

Hello! We have just bought a Westerly Pageant in a very sorry state. She has come with two engines, the original which is a 1970ish 10hp Stuart Turner and the other is a 16hp Sole Diesel. Neither engine is fitted at the moment. We prefer the Sole Diesel as it is a much more modern engine and it is Diesel where as the other is Petrol. But 16hp is really a bit unnecessary! Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not fitting such a big engine is a good idea or not?

Uncle Albert

Re: Which engine? - if any!

Post by Uncle Albert » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:44 pm

IMO you can never have too much grunt, thats what the throttle is for. If it were me it would be the Sole.

Are you planning any pics or diary of restoration events. I am sure that the magazine editor would be very happy to get a half year or annual progress report for the various editions.
Uncle Albert
CR1702

rhumlady
AntiSpam Text:westerly

Post by rhumlady » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:57 pm

Are you certain it a Stuart Turner as they were older than 1970 and are you sure is is petrol? The reason I ask is that I had a Stuart Sole 10 hp single cylinder diesel in my previous boat. It was a thumper but it ran well. It didn't have a starter but would start from cold with just 2 turns of the handle. When hot it would go on half a turn. Nothing to go wrong. Brilliant.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213

Cornwall1981

Post by Cornwall1981 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:08 pm

Hello and thanks for replying Uncle Albert :) I'm of the same opinion as you with the engine, just because we have the power it doesn't mean we have to use it! We're not planning on it being a quick restoration, mainly due to time, money and a young family! We will definitely keep a photo diary but I expect it will take a good few seasons. My husband and I are both joiners so we plan to do a swish wooden interior - but for this year clean, watertight and a working engine are our aims. Would be nice if she made the magazine though! Sad to see the poor old boat in such a state.
Photo 10-07-2013 15 35 58 - Shortcut.zip
(2.34KiB)Downloaded 152 times

Cornwall1981

Post by Cornwall1981 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:17 pm

Hello Derek, Yes its definitely petrol - it has spark plugs and it has Stuart Turner embossed on it. Perhaps it is older, I was going on the engine age being a 1970 as that is what we think the boat is, perhaps somebody fitted an older engine. The engine has a removable forward/aft lever coming up out of the floor in the cockpit, it has got electric start, but this looks to be a later edition.

rhumlady
AntiSpam Text:westerly

Post by rhumlady » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:51 pm

In that case I would go with the Sole diesel which I think may be based on the Kubota engine.
Have you seen Roger Ball's blog of the restoration or should that be rebuild of his Centaur. My Konsort is coming back together slowly from its complete strip out. These things take time especially when you have to work for a living.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213