Engine removal

purejoy
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:westerly
Engine removal

Post by purejoy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:04 pm

I need to take my Sea Panther engine/gearbox out for repair.Is it feasible to utilise the boom as a hoist? The engine/gearbox complete weigh about 500 lbs.
Any feedback or other ideas will be very welcome. (The boat is currently in commission and I would prefer not to have to be lifted out, for what should be a quick repair, as cost is an important factor. {£300 lift out/in and £50 for the DIY repair}.)
I might be getting older but I refuse to grow up.
http://www.ian-bartlett.co.uk

Uncle Albert
AntiSpam Text:Westerly

Re: Engine removal

Post by Uncle Albert » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:09 pm

do not use the boom as a hoist beam. :shock: You will be asking if anyone has a spare boom after about 30seconds.!!!
Uncle Albert
CR1702

paulcd

Post by paulcd » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:45 pm

I lifted my MD2B out in the winter using our sailing clubs derrick, might be worth looking at local sailing clubs and for a small fee, ours is £10.00 you can do it alongside a pontoon.

rhumlady

Post by rhumlady » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:23 pm

I wouldn't be worried about using the boom as long as the main halyard or whatever you are using as an up haul comes to the same point as the tackle being used to lift the engine. The resulting force is back down to the mast attachment whose name completely escapes me in a senior moment, gooseneck is what I am thinking of:-) I worry more about swinging it outboard and moving the centre of gravity outboard. Having said that I regularly walk along the side decks while on the hard and in think I weigh more than the engine:-)
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213

purejoy

Post by purejoy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:25 pm

Thanks for the prompt replies and warnings. The point made by "rhumlady" is well worth reading. There is a sailing club nearby that has a mast derrick that I may be able to use for a fee as per paulcd's post. Uncle Albert, you have saved me from further catastrophe.
Thank you all.
Ian
I might be getting older but I refuse to grow up.
http://www.ian-bartlett.co.uk