Anchor chain and rode

Hardover
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Anchor chain and rode

Post by Hardover » Sat May 05, 2018 8:45 am

Decided to have a good look at the anchor chain and rode and mark it off at 5 mtr intervals. Pulled the chain up through the chain pipe laying it along the deck as I went. Came to the rode and kept on pulling........ended up with the bitter end in my hand! It's not attached!! Opened up the chain locker and there isn't an attachement point? Is this normal? I suppose I could form a large knot to stop the free end coming up through the chain pipe.
Probaly need to replace or add to the chain. There's less than 10 mtrs of chain and 15 mtrs of rode.

Jolly Roger
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Anchor chain and rode

Post by Jolly Roger » Sat May 05, 2018 4:50 pm

It is not normal to not have a deck eye to secure the end of the rope. On my Fulmar, which is all chain, there is a short length of rope at the very end, long enough to feed on deck, just in case it needs to be cut in a hurry. I would buy a deck eye and fix it to the forward side of anchor locker bulkhead. What length of chain or rope you need will depend on exactly where you are likely to anchor. If you use all chain then the length will be 3 times the depth. A mixture of chain and rope should be 5 times the depth. You will have a smaller circle of movement with all chain, so if you are not going to be racing at a top level, buy all chain.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

TyroSailor
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Anchor chain and rode

Post by TyroSailor » Sun May 06, 2018 11:17 am

Hear, hear.

Chain is definitely preferable as it holds the boat steadier, is less likely to drag or chafe and will usually stow itself in the locker with no help from you. And you can use a shorter scope, as Roger says. Get the heaviest you can afford and will fit in your gear; secondhand (boat jumble?) is fine. I replaced 27m of 6mm chain with 37m of 8mm (nearly twice the weight and strength) in better condition, for £40. And sold the old one for £25!
You MUST have a short length of rope as above for emergencies. It's also a good idea to fix a buoy to the bitter end (via another rope) so you can find the hook again when you come to retrieve it. You could use your tripping line buoy which you attach to the crown of the anchor when using it on possibly foul ground.

Marking the cable every 5m is an excellent idea. Cable ties are useful - and you can feel and count them in the dark.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton