purpose of "hole" in the hull Westerly Berwick

Albert Mulder
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

purpose of "hole" in the hull Westerly Berwick

Post by Albert Mulder »

Hallo, Since 2 years I'm the owner of a 1978 Berwick. At the starboard side (foto ) there a sort of (provisionary?) "hole" in the hull, round, about 2 cm deep and a diameter of approx. 5 cm (foto) It is perfectly closed, the boat isn't leaking and hasn't made any water through it. It looks like it has been there for ages but I did not noticed it until now. I guess it is not a problem but, now that I know, I would like to figure out what purpose this "hole" could have been. Does anyone have an idea? And does anyone know if all Westerly Berwicks have this kind of "hole"? Thx!
Albert Mulder - Grou (NL)
westerly gat overzicht10.jpg
westerly gat overzicht10.jpg (35.12 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
westerly gat close10.jpg
westerly gat close10.jpg (43.76 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
westerly gat vinger10.jpg
westerly gat vinger10.jpg (36.4 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
TyroSailor

Re: purpose of "hole" in the hull Westerly Berwick

Post by TyroSailor »

I'd guess that it's a mount for either the log or echosounder. If neither of them are there, I'd fill the hole.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton
Waka Tiki
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by Waka Tiki »

Hi Albert.. I'm afraid that up loading a photo has defeated me... :( ... but... :idea:

I have a 1979 Westerly Berwick and I am wondering where your galley is.

My galley is on the starboard side towards the stern in the position that those with a midships galley have a quarter berth. Your hole looks to be in about the same position as my galley sink drain hole.

Just a thought but if you have a midships galley maybe this is the redundant hole for the stern galley sink. I think Westerly they were offering both galley locations by the late 70s. Having said this, as far as I know, I don't have a similar redundant hole forward where the midships galley sink would be.

This is all conjecture of course ... but could be the answer. :)

John
Albert Mulder

Post by Albert Mulder »

Hi John, thx and sorry for my late response. Been away for a while. That could be an explanation for presence redundant "hole" if Westerly sort of provided this galley option in the late 70's. I do have a midship galley indeed. It would interesting to know if you're Berwick has a redundant hole midship. I wasn't aware of mine until recently :) I've decided to fill it anyway. thx for your reply. Albert