Vulcan Draft

neilf39
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Vulcan Draft

Post by neilf39 »

I was looking at moving up to a Vulcan but was somewhat surprised that the draft of the one I looked at (bilge keel) was over 1.5m (5ft). Given Westerly publish the draft as 1.3m (4ft 3in) this seems quite a difference. Did Westerly get this completely wrong? It was a shame as that difference was significant to me being in a Marina with a sill that meant the 5ft would severely restrict my access, whereas 4ft 3in was just about ok.

How did Westerly calculate the drafts of their boats? Completely empty hull with no mast, engine, or tankage installed???
TrafalgarYachts
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Opposite Easterly

Re: Vulcan Draft

Post by TrafalgarYachts »

The Vulcan brochure shows the draft being 5'0" for fin keel and 4'3" for twin. For info, ballast 3273kg and 3162 respectively.
Caroline Hardy
neilf39
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by neilf39 »

Hi Caroline,

I was looking at the twin keel version so as you say it should have been 4' 3" when in fact it was closer to 5' 1" when I actually measured it. I measured it 3 times to make sure I had not made any mistakes.

I hate to think what the single keel depth actually is, over 6' I would imagine.

I wonder how Westerly arrived at their quoted figures.
TrafalgarYachts
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Opposite Easterly

Post by TrafalgarYachts »

I think there were about 31 twin keel Vulcans, so maybe you will get feedback from some other owners. The draft would be based on a normal cruising inventory and full tanks.