Fulmar Gas Locker

KenMcC
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Fulmar Gas Locker

Post by KenMcC »

I'm thinking about how to modify my gas locker to take 2 x 4.5Kg calor Gas bottles. I've seen a boat set up in this way so I know it must be possible. I'm pretty confident that height rather than depth/width is the problem so I wonder whether it's better to cut off the top and increase clearance there, or to do the same at the bottom. The latter might be a bit easier. I would obvioulsy need enough space for bottles, regulator and preferably a solenoid valve.
if anyone has done this I'd be interested to hear how it was done and any benefits of hindsight?
Ken McCulloch
Fulmar 32 Fingal
steve parry
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Pentland

Re: Fulmar Gas Locker

Post by steve parry »

Hi Ken,

I won't be able to tell you about the Calor Gas side of things but I must ask you what you have at the moment (Camping Gaz 907's?) and the other question is where do you do most of your sailing, around UK or over in France?

Most of my sailing is in France, Biscay etc and I can tell you now that Calor Gas is hard to come by over there and if you run out whilst cruising etc you will have to convert back to Camping Gaz (which is available in most supermarkets in France). I have known 3 boats so far that have come up against this problem and had to convert to Camping Gaz at some cost.

If you're sailing is around UK only... then no problem and good luck with the locker.

Regards

Steve Parry - WALKABOUT
Fulmar433
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by Fulmar433 »

I certainly wouldn't cut the bottom of the gas locker out. It is designed to vent any gas into the cockpit. Altering the bottom of the locker could allow any leaked, heavier than air gas into the main cockpit locker and in to the bilges, that could potentially cause an explosion. I imagine cutting the top out isn't going to be easy.
I know it's often frowned on, but I refill my 907 cylinders from a calor gas cylinder. I bought the parts to do it for a little over £30. As long as you fully understand what you are doing and double check all connections it is completely safe. Each refill costs me about £6, but is a little time consuming.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Ken

I have used my Fulmar and found the Camping Gas bottles do give a reasonable service period. Personally I would not change them.

However, if you do decide to change then you should realise the problems you will start causing. The gas locker is not tall enough to take a Calor bottle, so the only way you could potentially make then fit would be to drill/remove the top of the box. The gas is heavier than air so will still drain into the cockpit and then out of the cockpit drains. By modern standards, this system is no longer used as it must drain directly overboard. The only way you could safely achieve this would be to have a new box at the aft end of the cockpit well and draining directly overboard using a tube through a cockpit drain.

If you decide you want to alter the existing gas storage locker, then have a chat with your insurers first. If they do not like the sound of what you want to do, then you will not be able to get insurance on your boat. So I refer you back to my first paragraph or you follow Fulmat 433's advice.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/
KenMcC

Post by KenMcC »

Thanks for these observations. I was planning to install an overboard drain anyway as I don’t think draining leaking gas into the cockpit is a very sensible arrangement.
Ken McCulloch
Fulmar 32 Fingal