Seahawk 34 bilge draft

Apwhitby
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Seahawk 34 bilge draft

Post by Apwhitby »

I have a 34 foot seahawk bilge. My draft should be 3 foot 11inches. But I have measured it at 4 foot 6 inches. There is another one in our yard, that is also 4 foot 6. Does anyone know if these are specials, or is the archive info incorrect.
pauljcon
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: negative

Re: Seahawk 34 bilge draft

Post by pauljcon »

Hi, My Seahawk is 4.27ft.
Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Seahawk 34 bilge draft

Post by Jolly Roger »

Welcome to the WOA Forum.

The draft would be correct for a boat in its designed displacement, provided the bare boat weighed as little as that when it left the factory (which I doubt). However over the years more equipment will have been added, not to mention possibly a larger heavier engine, water, fuel, layers of anti-fouling, anchor, chain, clothes, tools, bedding, inflatable, outboard, safety equipment, sails, mooring warps, fenders, food, drink, etc, etc. For 34ft yacht this weight will be between ¾ to 1 tonne or about 15% extra, so makes the boat sit lower in the water. You have measured this extra to be 7 inches, I would have expected it to be about 4 inches. So my question is have you checked your boat is level in the water and currently out of the water. Then check the depth on both sides using a long level at the keels. The waterline mark could also have an error as weed can grown real water line due to waves, so unless the true water line was marked in still water was marked before coming out of the water, it is only a rough indication of the waterline.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/