Healing over - how far in a Westerly Konsort.

bickkers
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:westerly
Healing over - how far in a Westerly Konsort.

Post by bickkers » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:35 pm

Probably sounds a silly question to the more experienced sailors.... We are in our 1st season with the Konsort and are beginning to get to grips with the boat - which we love. Healed over angle is something we are still a bit unsure about, Howfar is safe ? We are sailing to the toe line which seems "on the limit" Can anyone advise what the boat is comfortable with. We sail mainly in the Mersey / North Wales / Formby area.
Thanks

TyroSailor
AntiSpam Text:Westerly

Re: Healing over - how far in a Westerly Konsort.

Post by TyroSailor » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:39 am

No such thing as a silly question here!

The basic rule for how far most boats should heel is that if the toerail is spending more than about 10% of its time in the water you should reef. This will bring her more upright and make her easier to steer but probably not slow her down. But if heeling less than that worries you or makes the boat uncomfortable, there's nothing wrong with reefing a bit earlier - except that this might slow you down.

Where do you keep your boat? I live in that area (but my boat is in Southampton!).
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

bickkers
AntiSpam Text:westerly

Post by bickkers » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:46 am

Thanks for the response Steve. We are in Liverpool Marina, you are welcome to come down and see her. if you have time to spend a few hours on the Mersey you will also be most welcome.

Gary & Billy

Fulmar433
Anti Spam measure:Yes

Post by Fulmar433 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:28 pm

Not sure if it's the same in a Konsort, but my Fulmar becomes very difficult to steer if over pressed to the point where the rudder loses grip and the boat turns up into the wind. I usually start hearing stuff below start crashing around too. To be honest if you reef before you get to that point the boat sails faster and a lot more comfortably. If you start feeling uncomfortable sitting in the cockpit, you should have already reeled.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:25 pm

It's the same with most (all?) boats in my experience.

They say you should put a reef in as soon as it occurs to you to do so, but wait ten minutes after you decide to shake it out again. A well-reefed boat in a strong wind is easier to steer, more comfortable, safer and puts less strain on her gear than the same boat overcanvassed. And probably no slower - indeed, may be a little faster if she carries less weather helm. If the boat is heeled further than is comfortable - reef.

As far as ultimate stability and safety is concerned, a properly designed sailing boat can never be capsized by the actin of the wind alone. As it heels further the effective area of the sails exposed to the wind is reduced, reducing the capsizing force, and the keel is lifted up, increasing the righting force. So heeling might feel dangerous but (unless the keel falls off, or you fall off the deck) it isn't.

I often put in a reef - or even two - before I go out, just in case.

Bikkers - I've sent you a PM about sailing in and around the Mersey :-)
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton