Is there a register of sail numbers held anywhere

NeilRaven
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Is there a register of sail numbers held anywhere

Post by NeilRaven » Mon May 08, 2017 8:00 pm

I bought a 1989 Westerly Fulmar last year with no reference to her original sail number. Is there a register held anywhere that compares hull numbers to sail numbers or can anybody lay light on what numbers were manufactured in 1989 so I might have a rough idea. Kindest regards to all members.

Fulmar433
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Re: Is there a register of sail numbers held anywhere

Post by Fulmar433 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:28 pm

When I first bought my Fulmar and joined the WOA, someone from the association who was collating the history of the boats contacted me for any details I had. I can't remember his name. Maybe someone here knows who was building the history records.

My Fulmar has sail number 433 and was delivered in February 1991. There was a total of 435 Fulmar 32s built. As a guess I would think you boat is going to be around 400 from 1989.

Another possibility is Trafalgar Yachts do have some of Westerly's records.

Something else you could try, assuming you are a member of the WOA, if you don't get any better advice is try contacting other Fulmar owners using the details in the year book. You may be able find other 1989 boats and compare hull numbers with yours.

David
Last edited by Fulmar433 on Tue May 09, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Tue May 09, 2017 12:16 am

Early Fulmar hull numbers do not tie in with sail numbers. The hull number is the order the hull was laid up, the deck number was the same. If the numbers start with an "L" it is a fin keel and a"M" is for a bilge keel. The sail number was issued in order of completion of any type of Fulmar (including lift keel). My Fulmar has L7 for the hull (moulded in the lower starboard side of the transom) and M2 for the deck (forward edge of the cockpit hidden by the teak grating), yet the sail number is FR38! So your sail number could be almost anything, but as David suggests, most likely over 400. I did find out why my boat was such a mix up, but took a lot of work.

This may seem obvious, have you checked on the mainsail or large headsail, or even on an old sail bag? Are there any old Bills of Sale or the Completion Certificate from Westerly, as these usually quote the sail number. You may even have a builders plate on the main bulkhead, with some references. Have you asked the previous owner?

There may be a record of the Fulmar's name in an old copy of the WOA list of members and their boats that could provide the sail number. So an email to the WOA might provide an answer.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Fulmar433

Post by Fulmar433 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:09 pm

I mentioned in my previous reply about being contacted by the WOA for some details of my boat. I have dug back in my email history and found the original emails. The request came from Tim Pullen using the email webmaster@westerly-owners.co.uk He said at the time "I am building a database of Westerly yachts for the benefit of current and future members. No one else has a comprehensive record, and I am doing this mostly from scratch".

The email was in October 2014, I wonder if this was ever completed. It doesn't appear to be on the website.

I doubt it is any use to identify a 1989 boat, but my Fulmar, sail No 433 has a yard No of M192 was completed in February 1991
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

philipstevens

Post by philipstevens » Thu May 11, 2017 5:21 pm

NeilRaven wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 8:00 pm
I bought a 1989 Westerly Fulmar last year with no reference to her original sail number. Is there a register held anywhere that compares hull numbers to sail numbers or can anybody lay light on what numbers were manufactured in 1989 so I might have a rough idea. Kindest regards to all members.
Caroline, of Westerly Yachts, is having a problem getting on-line, but she emailed me to post her reply to you - "I may be able to find out the sail number of the Fulmar he has just bought."

Contact Westerly Yachts direct, and ask to speak to Caroline, or email - info(insert @ sign)westerly-yachts.co.uk

regards,
Philip
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net

JayT
Site Admin
AntiSpam Text: Opposite Easterly

Post by JayT » Tue May 23, 2017 2:39 pm

I confirm that I am indeed still building this register, and welcome any information anyone has on any Westerly of any class or age. We have a current index of about 5500 (can't be accurate, because we have yet to establish how many we know of that are duplicates) of perhaps 12500 built. This information, whilst not published, is available to any member on request. Contact me by PM or at the Admin Office.
Regards
Tim
Webmaster & Admin Office

TrafalgarYachts
AntiSpam Text: Opposite Easterly

Post by TrafalgarYachts » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:34 pm

I have a old Westerly ledger listing the names of original owners in sail number order. I also have some files with details on individual boats, but there are a lot of missing records. If you have any background info on your boat I can see what I have on record.
Regards
Caroline Hardy

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:54 pm

Hi Caroline - good to meet you at last this morning, and I've already had a browse through Uffa Fox's book.

I have some records of earlier owners of Tyro of Dell Quay (Centaur 1361) which I could let you have - I need to have a 240v supply, wifi and the old documents in the same place at the same time though...... watch this space.

Steve
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton