Which antifouling for boat moored at Littlehampton?

Mick-B
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:Westerly
Which antifouling for boat moored at Littlehampton?

Post by Mick-B » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:34 pm

Hello All,

Does anybody else here have a boat moored at Littlehampton? If so, what antifouling do you find works best there? Drying mooring, hard standing, beam on to current so lots of turbulence around the hull when the tide is ebbing.

Thanks in advance.

UserError
Anti Spam measure:Yes

Re: Which antifouling for boat moored at Littlehampton?

Post by UserError » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:15 am

No advice as such I'm afraid, but following out of similar interest, and also "hello" as we must be neighbours.

I asked at the club what people used and there was no definite answer. More 'whatever the best deal' was I think. Certainly not the "we found X works best here" that I was hoping for.

Our boat came to us too late for crane out so will manage this season with nothing & scrubbing as needed (there's no antifouling worth mentioning left on the hull).

FWIW, we are hoping to try coppercoat when we come out of the water at the end of the season.
Regards
Jonathan
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton

Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure:No

Re: Which antifouling for boat moored at Littlehampton?

Post by Jolly Roger » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:17 am

The general view of antifouling paints is you get what you pay for. So the more you spend, the better the results. This is the test review for 2016 by PBO. http://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/pbo-great-uk- ... down-26053 I could not find a 2017 test, but every year the formulations for every antifouling is adjusted to conditions of the manufacturers own tests AND new regulations of what is permitted to be included in the paint for environmental reasons.

My own preference is for Micron, a self polishing paint. However you are using a drying mooring and have a strong cross flow, so you may be better off using a hard antifoul. Check this out with some other local boat owners. If you are sinking into some mud, then a layer of mud will always stop any antifoul from working. Any of the hull that stays clean, will be dried twice a day making weed growth less likely.

With regard to Coppercoat, I have heard people who swear by it and those who swear at the cost to apply and how useless it was for them. Due to these comments, I decided to stay with paint.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/